Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 6:41:51 PM EDT
I carry a buck strider mini- tanto-serrated and I am looking for a bigger blade.
I love the buck/striders blade thickness, but was looking for something different.
My choices are

Buck/Strider 4"
Camilmus Maxx 5.5
Al Mar Sere Operator

I had a CRKT M16, but I am pretty rough on my knives and it didnt stand up too well.

Any suggestions?  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The Al Mar Operator that you mentioned is a fixed blade. The Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000 is a folder, but it is under 4 inches. That should'nt stop you though as it has quite enough blade to do pretty much anything a folder should be doing. It is one of the nicest folders out there, bar none. Great steel (VG10), near custom level of fit and finish, bullet proof, tank-like construction and awesome ergonomics. Here are a few pics of mine,

Here is a great place to buy it, www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1429

Another great folder is the Benchmade model 710. Although the blade is 3.9", it is a pretty large folder. I recently ordered one in the M2 steel and it is an awesome folder. Super smooth and solid as a rock with a very strong locking system (axis). Can't go wrong with this one. Heres some pics of mine,

Heres a link with the best price I have found, www.newgraham.com/benchmad30.htm

For a really large folder under $200, check out the Lone Wolf Harsey tactical. That thing is huge. I don't own one, but I have heard good things about them and have handled them. They use a great steel (CPM-S30V) and have great ergonomics. You might want to handle one first as they are very large and probably a handful to carry. I like big folders, as I carry an Extrema Ratio M.P.C. quite often, but some people prefer something a little lighter. I would recommend the Extrema Ratio, but it is a little out of the specified price range ($300).

Here is a link to the Lone Wolf, www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5584

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Benchmade Rukus. I think the model # is 610. I handled one at the shop the other day and its BIG. Basically a folding sword.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Try the Cold Steel Recon series.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have several of the Buck/Strider 880 series and cant think of a better big super tough folder made with top of the line materiels.  If you look you can often find the full size models for under $100.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Spyderco Police or Military. Most bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't say enough good things about my Benchmade AFCK. Unfortunately, according to Benchmade's website they were discontinued in November. If you can find one in stock somewhere or a good used deal, I would highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Camillus Dominator. I carry it daily. Quick assist open, great blade, deceny weight. Next would be Spyderco.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top