Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 11:32:46 PM EDT
I have an old Charter Arms AR-7, probably 18 years old.... it's "well-loved"...meaning the finish looks bad.  It's a fun plinker, and my daughter loves to shoot it.  I was thinking about trying to improve it's look.  I see all the references to painting using Duracoat, Krylon, etc, and would like some ideas.  It's not a very big gun, not gonna make it camo or anything, just want to make it look less worn.

Any suggestions?

Do I need to strip it down since there is alot of the finish worn in spots?

I don't want to send it off for refinishing for $xxx, just something decent looking with a little durability to it.

Thanks in advance,

No Expert
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Surface preparation is everything.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I have an old Charter Arms AR-7, probably 18 years old.... it's "well-loved"...meaning the finish looks bad.  It's a fun plinker, and my daughter loves to shoot it.  I was thinking about trying to improve it's look.  I see all the references to painting using Duracoat, Krylon, etc, and would like some ideas.  It's not a very big gun, not gonna make it camo or anything, just want to make it look less worn.

Any suggestions?

Do I need to strip it down since there is alot of the finish worn in spots?

I don't want to send it off for refinishing for $xxx, just something decent looking with a little durability to it.

Thanks in advance,

No Expert

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said.
Can you take it apart enough to put it on a wire wheel?  I've used them to good effect.
Sand blasting is prolly better but not everyone has access to one.
Just strip it down to bare metal and degrease thoroughly. Then degrease again!

I like the Alumihyde II.  the matt black is my favorite.  It goes on good and seems durable enough for handling/shooting.  Just make sure you let it set-up for at least a week.

RB out
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
i would just degrease and then hit it with a can of Krylon flat black paint.
nothing fancy or a whole lot of trouble.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:30:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I can disassemble it pretty well, but don't really have any hard-core equipment to stip it.  Might be able to do a chemical stripping.

The Krylon idea has me intrigued. I know people had been painting guns and parts that had good finish, not sure about the poor finish without surface prep (stripping).

I'll try to get some pictures up today for a better showing of what I am upagainst.

Thanks all so far,

No Expert
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
if you don't do proper prep the paint will not stick and tend to flake off.  be warned Krylon does not like most gun cleaning solvents and will desolve over time.  but it takes more than a moments contact.  

take a look at Aluma-Hyde II it's a tough Epoxy Base Paint that will Withstand Solvents.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if you don't do proper prep the paint will not stick and tend to flake off.  be warned Krylon does not like most gun cleaning solvents and will desolve over time.  but it takes more than a moments contact.  

take a look at Aluma-Hyde II it's a tough Epoxy Base Paint that will Withstand Solvents.  

The ALUMA-HYDE looks good, any non-mechanical prep suggestions?

No Expert
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Expert

on-mechanical?  you will have to help me with that
i don't understand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Wal Mart has some engine paint.

Spray it with carb cleaner, dry it then throw it in the oven.

Take it out and degrease once more.

Paint rifle and then bake per instructions.

Used engine paint on my SAR-1 and its has held up perfectly. The only downside is that it has a HINT of bushmaster purple in the sun. Its still a fairly good black.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Expert

i don't understand.

Meaning no grinders, wheels, machines, or other stuff I don't have or can't afford to buy.

ME poor.  

No Expert
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Expert

i don't understand.

Meaning no grinders, wheels, machines, or other stuff I don't have or can't afford to buy.

ME poor.  

No Expert

the problem is the finish on the gun is anodized.  so it is metallically bonded but you can take it off with some fine grit sand paper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top