Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:19:17 AM EDT
I just bought a Remington 870 P MAX.  I'm looking for a side saddle and side sling adaptors.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to have a TacStar six round side saddle on my Remington 870.  Not a bad product for around $30.  However, I now have a Mesa Tactical six rounder and I like it a lot better.  The catch is that it costs twice what the TacStar costs so you'll have to do your own cost/benefit analysis.

The features that make me like the Mesa Tactical product $30 dollars more than I like the TacStar product include:

1. The Mesa Tactical product is smaller/less bulky.

2. Each individual Mesa Tactical shell retention part (there are six on the six rounder) is shorter from top to bottom.  Thus, each covers less of the shell.  Thus, it is easier to pull out the shells as you can get a better grip on them and pull them out at a more acute angle.

3.  Pulling out the shells from the Mesa Tactical product is also smoother (less jerky) as less force is required.  This allows me to keep better control over my weapon and reload faster.

4.  The Mesa Tactical product  just plain looks better!!

5.  I really like the window in the Mesa Tactical product that allows you to read the serial number.  I know that this has no tactical purpose but I just think it is neat.

6.  If you want more than six rounds, Mesa Tactical makes an eight round holder and a four round holder for the right side.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Gosh, ManekiNeko, thank you for the glowing report.  I have nothing to add on the supject of shell holders.

But since clasky asked about some kind of sling mounting solution, I'd like to point out that our receiver mount sling loops, sling hooks and flush cups are compatible with our four- and six-shell holders (not the eight-shell).

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I used to have a TacStar six round side saddle on my Remington 870.  Not a bad product for around $30.  However, I now have a Mesa Tactical six rounder and I like it a lot better.  The catch is that it costs twice what the TacStar costs so you'll have to do your own cost/benefit analysis.

The features that make me like the Mesa Tactical product $30 dollars more than I like the TacStar product include:

1. The Mesa Tactical product is smaller/less bulky.

2. Each individual Mesa Tactical shell retention part (there are six on the six rounder) is shorter from top to bottom.  Thus each covers less of the shell.  Thus, it is easier to pull out the shells as you can get a better grip on them and pull them out at a more acute angle.

3.  Pulling out the shells from the Mesa Tactical product is also smoother (less jerky) as less force is required.  This allows me to keep better control over my weapon and reload faster.

4.  The Mesa Tactical product  just plain looks better!!

5.  I really like the window in the Mesa Tactical product that allows you to read the serial number.  I know that this has no tactical purpose but I jus think it is neat.

6.  If you want more than six rounds, Mesa Tactical makes an eight round holder and a four round holder for the right side.

My sentiments exactly!

I have Mesa Tactical 6-rounders on my 870Pand my 870 AOW, as well as a 4-round holder on the AOW.  After I pay for my Form 1 for my new SBS, I plan to order an 8-round holder for it and move the 4-rounder over also.

(As a side note (no pun ntended), keep an eye out for the Mesa Tactical ad in the February issue of SWAT magazine; you'll see yours truly in the upper corner.  )
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a picture, taken by Oleg Volk, that shows a fairly decent view of the Mesa Tactical shell holder:
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks so much for all the great information, guys!  I was looking at the TacStar at my local gun shop, but was thinking it was a little big.  I just looked the Mesa Tactical one up on their website and think I'm sold.  Couple more questions:  (I'm new to shotguns and am primarily an AR guy, so bear with me:)  Is a single point sling attachment recommended for a shotgun?  I always carried my M4 in the IDF with a 3-point sling for its' controlability.  It just seems that a single point would allow the weapon to loosely flop around when transitioning to my sidearm.  Is there something different about shotguns that would make the single point more benificial?  Also, why do I see a lot people putting 3 shells rightside up and 3 upside down in their side saddles?  I figured this might be to differentiate by feel different types of loads, but I've seen pics of them where they are all the same loads.  Finally, how difficult is it to install the accessories we've been talking about?  Will I need any special tools?  Again, thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
clasky,

I'd say that the method which you attach your sling is a personal choice.  Try both a 3-point and a single point and then go with wat works best for you.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head in regards to putting rounds in a shell holder so that they face different directions.  Personally, I prefer to keep different loads in different spots (slugs on one left side, buck shot will og on left, a little bit of birdshot in the Speedfeed III.

All of the Mesa Tactical stuff can be installed fairly easily.  For the shell holders, it's just a matter of pushing out the reciever pins on your 870, using the supplied pins, placing the holder in place and then screwing them down.  Same goes for the sling point.  The only difficulty I had was installing my low-rise adapter to my 870P.  I had to file down around the area where the trigger guard went, as it was a bit of a tight fit due to my Wilson Combat Big Head safety.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#7]
tag..

looking for one to put on my new 590A1
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Dang, Mesa!  You've got some cool stuff!  Thanks for posting the picture of that receiver sling mount.  I've been looking and trying to decide what/how to do my sling for my walkabout 870.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Mesa Tactical +1000

I have both the 6 rounder and 4 rounder on my shotgun. Best shell holder out there!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been using Tac Star Side Saddles for over 10 years.  They are the best shell holder for the money.  However, the new offerings from Mesa are head and shoulders above the Tac Stars in quality and design.

Reasons:

1)  All aluminum...no plastic...more durable
2)  Steel screws in steel threads...no stripped aluminum
3)  Serial # viewing window
4)  Smaller profile
5)  Better aethetics
6)  Better shell retention
7)  Better shell extraction
8)  More variety in capacity and placement of shell plates
9)  Compatable with sling loops

I will continue to use the Tac Stars I own, but I will not buy another since the birth of Mesa.  But if all I had to spend was $30 I would not feel like my equipment was somehow inferior just because it had a Tac Star on it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
im sold on MESA TACTICALS parts

Im just waiting to hear from them regarding the 870 P with a Knights RAS issue(yes I managed to find one, and its funny I built a shotgun around this piece...I had it long before I had a shotgun...same with the ARMS Super EX that I just bought...another build around a single insignificant part)

I also like the sling mount idea

The only thing is Im not sure how itll work with my current setup
870P Magnum with the Argonaut adapter similar to Mesa's hi stock adapter but it should fit
the RAS is the only major issue

sorry for the link

viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=4040712&imageID=506981886&Mytoken=AA74F038-81F5-1354-2561CC805C56502420142875
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Im just waiting to hear from them regarding the 870 P with a Knights RAS issue

We finally got our hands on an 870-RAS and can illustrate how to make it work with a Mesa tactical SureShell shell holder:

You can clearly see where the two parts overlap.  To rectify this, you can either mill a bit of material off the RAS-870, or you can mount the SureShell as we have done in our example, with a 1/8" spacer behind the backing plate.

We don't offer these spacers, but we do offer extra backing plates.  We have sold these to customers who milled material off the upper edge of the backing plate to allow it to be used as a spacer for an installation such as is illustrated.

The part numbers for the backing plates are:

90190 Backplate for left side six-shot SureShell
91280 Backplate for left side eight-shot SureShell

If you are interested in using the Receiver Mount Sling Loop with this system, it is compatible with the six-shot SureShell, but not the eight-shot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Mesa Tactical guy-

Is there a plan for an integral unit for the 870? A rail and shell holder as one piece, or is this not possible. I would rather wait for that then jerry rig my 870 with 2 pieces. I will buy one if you make it.

MC
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is there a plan for an integral unit for the 870? A rail and shell holder as one piece, or is this not possible. I would rather wait for that then jerry rig my 870 with 2 pieces. I will buy one if you make it.

Yes.  In 60 to 90 days.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Mesa Tactical

Do you have just 870 RAS for sale???
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mesa Tactical

Do you have just 870 RAS for sale???

No, we are hanging onto ours for experimental purposes.

Apparently, the design has some issues.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you Mesa Tactical.
MC
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  In 60 to 90 days.

Damn, 60-90 Days?!  I'm getting my 870P Max much much sooner than that!  I was planning on buying a 6 shell holder and a 4 shell holder, and maybe a RAS...But if you're coming out with a  RAS/6 shell holder combo I might have to hold out...Arg! .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top