Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2002 8:25:37 AM EDT
A friend of mine has found one he wants to buy, and I'm going with him to check it out before he does. Is there anything particular, or in general, we should look out for? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:36:39 AM EDT
What to look for? Greek steel not US aluminum.

The imported Greek guns are about as close to a real HK as you can get. Consequently, they're also worth a bit more. Other than that, if you've ever bought a used gun you already know what to look for - check the condition of the barrel, bolt & carrier, the receiver (internal and external). They're pretty sturdy guns - I love mine, but if you can get a chnce to shoot it, even better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:10:16 PM EDT
I had the alum. SAR-8, but not long. Go with the steel receiver. The Springfield SAR's are just o.k. at best. The Greek receiver will accept the QD HK scope mount.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:14:50 PM EDT
So what exactly isn't to be liked about the SAR-8? or the aluminum receiver?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:09:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Capro:
So what exactly isn't to be liked about the SAR-8? or the aluminum receiver?

Well there's two different versions of the Springfield SAR8. The first (and best) is one they imported from Greece. Its basicly a licensed copy of an HK91. When they came into the US, they were new guns, made completely from new parts on HK tooling. On the later version, Springfield imported parts from Greece, Portugal and other countries with HK tooling and assembled the guns in the US on US made aluminum receivers. I'm not sure, but I believe some of these parts were used. They're both decent guns, but the Greek steel receiver one is far better and well worth the extra $300-400 or so it will cost over the aluminum one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:59:16 AM EDT
Thanks, that is helpful, but I am trying to understand what it is that makes the aluminum one worse than the steel one. i.e. Does it have a tendancy to KB? Crack? Warp? Be less Accurate? Function improperly?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:45:37 AM EDT

Thanks, that is helpful, but I am trying to understand what it is that makes the aluminum one worse than the steel one. i.e. Does it have a tendancy to KB? Crack? Warp? Be less Accurate? Function improperly?

The bottom line is the rifles from Greece were just better made rifles - made better and that includes a better receiver.

(I'm just not going to get into alloy receivers vs steel.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:14:24 PM EDT

what it is that makes the aluminum one worse than the steel one.

The aluminum receiver is worse only in the looks department - it has no bearing on the rifle's accuracy or longevity.

Purists will go for the steel receiver because it's as close to an original HK as you can get. I opted for the aluminum SAR-8. It's the most accurate rifle I own.

Make sure the rear sight is the drum type and that the ball/detent locks the different aperatures into place properly (saw a gun from FED ARMS with a freewheeling rear drum). A used alum. SAR-8 will probably have dings in the receiver where the brass hits it. For an ugly rifle I really like it.
Top Top