Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2002 9:41:14 PM EDT
A friend is selling an Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 clone. I believe it is a 5" barrel. I don't know much about pistols, so what are everyones opinions on these. It looks to be in like new condition.

I am getting this dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What is dirt cheap? 1911's go anywhere from $200 something to WAY OVER $1,000 dollars. From my personal experience with The Thompson 1911 theyre worth closer to the $200 side.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Around $50, And it isn't hot
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
For $50, if you're sure it isn't hot, I would definitely take it.  Just don't badmouth 1911-pattern pistols as "unreliable" and "jam-o-matic" when problems occur.  You generally do get what you pay for, especially on the low end.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a thompson 1911-a bulldog . you didn't say what cal.  if its a .45cal jump on it , if its a 10mm like mine is,better look it over really close to check for cracked or broken parts on the slide and bushing as this round is notorious for busting up even the best pistols.  for a 485.00 gun(new) i would wonder why the 50.00 price tag....   just a thought..
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend is an LEO here, so I'm real sure it's legal. (well pretty sure) :) I'm sure the reason for low price is because he owes me alot of favors. It is a 45 cal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The street value on an Auto-Ordnance is probably about $200-$250. The market is full of cast frame/slide imports right now (RIA & CD), and the Auto-Ordnance is plain jane and does not have the greatest reputation. Kahr, the new owner, is reportably improving quality, but the reputation is pretty well trashed among 1911 folks. On the other hand, $50 is a give-away price. Unless the frame or slide appears seriously damaged, I'd buy it and turn it into a house or truck gun.

Not trying to insult any satisfied owners, but the 1911 market has not exactly embraced this particular model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top