Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:17:42 AM EDT
****NOTE- fits pump shotguns ONLY*******

The Long Gun Vault is a way of keeping a single pump shotgun safe yet ready for action. The unit closes over the receiver of the pump shotgun and opens via a programmable keypad on the top surface. The keypad has four buttons and you can program up to three access codes (and change them as you wish). The unit can be mounted to a hard surface via a (supplied) steel mounting plate. That can be drilled to a wall joist, for instance, and the unit attaches to the mounting bracket via sliding metal tabs that are accessed from inside the unit.

It has a key backup and two keys are supplied with the unit. The unit takes 8 AA batteries, and it also has access for an AC charger (not supplied). The unit weighs about 6 pounds and measures roughly 11"x7.5"x3" thick.

****NOTE- AGAIN- fits pump shotguns ONLY*******

Also, not all pump shotguns will fit -if your pump has receiver mounted sights or optics it will not fit.
Further, it is advertised as "fitting most shotguns", which is far from the truth. My Benelli will not fit unless I remove the bolt handle. That doesn't do much good, now does it? The unit could probably be modified to fit the Benelli (probably the 1100 as well, but I don't have one so don't sue me) by drilling a hole for clearance of the bolt handle. There are no critical electronics in that area of the unit that would have to be drilled. I have a suitable pump shotgun, so I most likely will not modify the unit.

There is a motion detector feature and an alarm that can be enabled if the user wishes. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it works.

Once you enter your code into the keypad the front cover pops open quickly. There is no hesitation, so it is certainly quick. I would recommend the unit to anyone who has a pump shotgun they want to have quick access to, as long as your weapon meets the size, shape, and configuration restrictions.

Sportsman's Guide (www.sportsmansguide.com) has these on sale for $29.99, which is a smoking good deal. The factory website for Gun Vault (www.gunvault.com) no longer lists the Long Gun Vault, so it appears this is a clearence item. The idea has a lot of merit, but the restrictions on the type of weapon used and the high initial MSRP of the unit probably were the reason for it's demise. The original MSRP was $160.00, which is a lot to spend on keeping a $150.00 shotgun out of the wrong hands!

Hopefully Gun Vault will reintroduce an updated version of this unit. Something that is more compatible with a wider variety of weapons used for home defense.

Best to you all,
Cheesebeast
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:15:40 PM EDT
Thanks for the review, I just ordered one of these a few days ago. Haven't received it yet, so I can't add any comments, but I figured for $30 + shipping, it was worth a try.
Top Top