Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/10/2003 8:10:38 PM EDT
My CMP Garand's gas cylinder would simply slip off without having to use a block of wood to drive it off the barrel by tapping on the rear of the bayonet lug. While holding the lug, I could rock the cylinder side-to-side slightly. After cleaning out the spline ways with 90% rubbing alcohol, I place a drop of Loctite Red #271 in each spline ways and slip the cylinder back on. Once the Loctite cured, the result was that it stopped the shot group from walking about 2 to 3 inches to the 1-2 o'clock position at 200-yard range after the barrel heats up and the 2 MOA grouping had shrunk to 1 MOA. Does anyone have similar experience?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:15:08 AM EDT
I have yet to have to do that, or know anyone that has, but it's a somewhat common problem. The manual and Garand gurus suggest peening the splines to get a tight cylinder fit on the barrel. Mine is on so damn tight I gave up trying to remove it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:26:29 AM EDT
Yeah, I wish mine was tight like that. I was trying not having to send it out to have it peened. The loctite trick seemed to work for now. I don't plan on removing the cylinder unless I am replacing it. Besides, it's not necessary to remove it for cleaning anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:43:46 AM EDT
I usually peen the splines then put a drop of Lock-tite Red in each groove.. I only tear down my Garands once a year( the ones that get shot a lot) anyway
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:51:40 AM EDT
Got any tips on peening, HPS?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:29:32 PM EDT
I personally use a 2" piece of 3/8th rod, lay it in the spline and slightly wack it with a hammer.. BUT!! support the barrel underneath it by something like a sandbag rest!! That way the splines get evenly rolled inwards. I do all 3 splines they wipe clean with carb cleaner or laquer thinner, then a small drop of lock-tite and let dry overnight..... like my previos post says, I only need to tear dowm my Garands once a year and that only applies to the ones I shoot a lot....I learned this trick from a well respected Garand builder and I applied this to my 308 Match Garand and it does work....
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:12:58 PM EDT
Thanks, HPS. However, I think I'll hold off on peening until I have an opportunity to observe it being done. I'll just have to get by with Loctite Red which from what I can see does the job for now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:54:15 AM EDT
Guys,

Just a tip....

Loc-Tite BLUE holds just as well and is a LOT easier to break loose when you need to remove the gas cylinder in the future.

Best regards,
swampy
Top Top