Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/26/2004 10:54:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 11:30:25 AM EST by jar3ds]
My local gun store is selling some wingmaster 870's... the store owner says that the shotguns are from the 70's and that they are police shotguns...

the shotguns say wingmaster on them, have extended mag, sling studs etc... i couldn't really tell if the parts where metal but the owner said its old enough that it has metal parts...

the condition isn't horrable, i saw some slight rust...

my question is are these shotguns real police shotguns... not just shotguns that police have used... i thought the old police shotguns didn't even say anything and the newer ones say police magnum on it...

i know the diff. between an express and a police model... but whats the difference between a wingmaster and a police? Thanks...

...Jared
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:23:46 PM EST
Yes, they are the real deal. The "Police" guns have only recently become available, and for decades we had to use the standard Wingmaster guns. They will be fine for your use unless they have really been trashed...not a normal occurance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:06:22 PM EST
so they aren't expresses? They have more metal parts? etc?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:50:01 PM EST
No, they are not the Express models. They are excellent, commercial guns, with all the features, and no dimples on the mag wells, or "blasted blue" finishes, etc...and will have standard spring weights and finishes. Look at the tacked thread at the top of this forum to see the difference between an "Express" and the "Police" models. While these Wingmasters do not have the extra power springs, you can certainly add them if you feel so inclined. The Remington reputation was made with the Wingmaster, and I would not hesitate a second to get one if I wanted another 870. Excellent guns, all!

They may, or may not, have the slotted carriers, but that is not really a big deal either. For decades we just trained to slam the butt on the ground if the shell jammed in the carrier...it still works fine today. If you make certain to place the tip of the thumb into the magazine while loading, it will not happen anyway.

God, I love my 870's!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:23:43 PM EST
Wingmasters were sold to police for many years before the "police" rollmarks came into use. I used to own a couple of 1960's vintage police Wingmasters used by the SC Highway Patrol. That was how they came. Sometimes on a big department/agency order, Remington would stamp the agency markings, i.e. SCHP for South Carolina Highway Patrol. HTH
Top Top