Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 3:19:08 PM EDT
Hey Guys-
Having a hard  time finding 230 gr HP bullets for   SHTF and I was wondering if anyone
loads 230 HP Plated for protection . It seems like the speer Gold dot is a plated bullet ??
Thanks
John
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess any 45 acp would work
What I am trying to find out is if the HP plated bullets would react in a simular
fashion as the speer Gold Dot,which claims to have the lead "fused" to the
jacket ??
Thanks
John
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The Gold Dot may be a plated bullet, but it is a highly engineered projectile.  Plated holowpoins by say Berry's or Rannier are NOT.

You can expect most plated HP designs to act the same as an FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Gold Dot may be a plated bullet, but it is a highly engineered projectile.  Plated holowpoins by say Berry's or Rannier are NOT.

You can expect most plated HP designs to act the same as an FMJ.

This.

I have Berry's HPs... they do not expand, and as I found out later... were never designed to.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess any 45 acp would work
What I am trying to find out is if the HP plated bullets would react in a simular
fashion as the speer Gold Dot,which claims to have the lead "fused" to the
jacket ??
Thanks
John

GOLD DOT = ELECTROPLATED BULLET

Funny how far Speer goes to hide that fact.

BUT - that does NOT mean that all electroplated hollow points are equal.  

Facts are: the Gold Dot is a supperior defensive bullet because: 1) it is designed, tested and proven in the LEO use for defensive use against criminals 2) the plating is thicker & accuracy is generally better - probably because it is more consistent 3) the design of the hollow point has been proven, over and over, to be a critical factor.

But back to you Q:  if I felt the need to make gobs of effective .45 JHPs at a reasonable cost, I'd probably be OK using a plated JHP in .45 ACP.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]
When you are talking about the venerable .45 Auto, you can look at the track record it has established that is nearly a century long and see that for 75% of its career as a man-stopper the bullet with which it made its enviable reputation is the 230-grain FMJ.  The nice thing about .45 Auto is that it is big and heavy enough that even FMJ is fairly effective.  They also normally feed 100%.

So using a Berry's plated version of the 230-gr ball load would simply duplicate this traditional loading.

This is not to say that modern HP designs, and especially highly-engineered ones like the Speer GDHP wouldn't be preferred,  because they do add to the already impressive performance, but they don't make the quantum leap in terminal performance that, say a 9mm HP does over its FMJ antecedent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top