Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/26/2018 11:28:22 AM EDT
I just bought this from a recently widowed lady at church, intending to hang it on the wall. I got curious and looked up the load, and it appears that 18gr is the suggested safe amount. I don't intend to ever load a bullet into it though.

My question is; would it work to drop in a 50gr pellet, and fire it just for the smoke/boom, without blowing it up?

No bullet, or any other obstruction in the barrel; just a percussion cap and a pellet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:28:23 PM EDT
I built one of those in 73. shot it a few dozen times...dont remember what happened to it...went BANG every time..
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:35:05 PM EDT
This might be inappropriate, but could you post video in GD if you do?
One thing to consider is the mass of the unburned powder pellet at as a projectile?
I'd use about 5 gr black and a 1/2 inch wax plug.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:44:23 PM EDT
If I try it, there will be video.
There may also be a clamp of some type, and a string, but I really don't want to destroy it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:04:18 PM EDT
I would not use a BP substitute pellet, but that's me. You are in uncharted territory, and charging it with approximately 3x the recommended weight of a very different powder - even without a bullet - seems unwise, especially just for amusement value.
Why not shoot it with an actual bullet? I built mine as a teenager and have shot it numerous times over the decades, using real BP and a round ball (sometimes patched, IIRC).
If the cost of a pound of FFFG is the issue, the purchase of a Pietta cap & ball revolver more than justifies the Hazmat fee for the powder. You have to buy #10 caps anyway...

Aside: would you be willing to scan and post the instruction sheet? Mine went into the trash decades ago; having a copy for the Big Folder of Owner's Manuals would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:25:50 PM EDT
I agree with PigBat, don't use the pellet. I bet if you ask around your hometown forum you'll find someone that is into traditional muzzleloading who might be able to provide powder, caps and an appropriate ball.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2018 8:28:48 PM EDT by 67Firebird]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PigBat:
I would not use a BP substitute pellet, but that's me. You are in uncharted territory, and charging it with approximately 3x the recommended weight of a very different powder - even without a bullet - seems unwise, especially just for amusement value.
Amusement is the only reason I want to do it, but I won't risk blowing myself up to do it.

Why not shoot it with an actual bullet?
I'm not really into black powder anymore. I had a Ruger Old Army, a couple cheapie revolvers, and a CVA Optima (for deer hunting), but since Missouri dropped the BP only season and allows pistols now, I have no desire to get back into it. I even chose that Optima because I could use pellets, and not have to mess with loose powder.

Aside: would you be willing to scan and post the instruction sheet? Mine went into the trash decades ago; having a copy for the Big Folder of Owner's Manuals would be nice.
View Quote
Pics with a cell phone good enough? If not, send me your address in an IM and I'll mail it to you. I don't need it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit - @PigBat
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:29:22 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sharps54:
I agree with PigBat, don't use the pellet. I bet if you ask around your hometown forum you'll find someone that is into traditional muzzleloading who might be able to provide powder, caps and an appropriate ball.
View Quote
I appreciate the warning, from both of you. I'll just put it on the wall, and not play with the pellets.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:27:28 AM EDT
The pix are fine, thank you very much!
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:00:11 PM EDT
You're welcome.
Top Top