Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 4:21:17 PM EDT
Is this a good setup , with the match parts on a standard rifle. $1450. out the door along with the SA coupon. Imput would be appreciated, thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a SAI "Loaded Standard" M1A MA9222 almost a year ago.

I have never had a single problem with the rifle. I fell in love with her almost immediately.

I have not had a single jam, failure to fire, failure to extract, or anything. And I do not own a single USGI magazine. I use primarily the Taiwan 57 magazines, along with some el cheapo 20 round parked mags of unknown origin.

Accuracy is plenty good. Much better than me. Never shot her off a bench, but I can get 2-ish moa 200 yard groups from the sitting position.

The only problems I have with it are lack of chrome lined barrel and how fat the barrel is. I think my next rifle will have the standard GI contour, so I can mount a foward optic easier (read: scout mount).

Something along the lines of this:

Hope this helps.

(ETA:)
I've fired nearly a thousand rounds through said M1A. Just so you know I haven't fired just a box or two. I love it. The trigger is wonderful, also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
TheGunsource is listing guns at cost and they are selling the M1A loaded for 1452.79 before shipping and ffl fees.  See the EE

So it would seem you are getting a good deal.

I am mailing out a $900 MO tomorrow for a used M1A Standard, 6 years old, < 500 rounds, no box or papers.

The bottom line is you are getting new!

Thanks
Steve
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus one on pretty good price.  My dad dropped over 1500 with 2 GI 20 round mags and the transfer and tax.  But It's been a little less than a year, I'm pretty sure over 500 rounds (I keep forgetting because I haven't kept track, but I've shot it a bunch) and no problems.  No GI parts, that I know of.  Most of the purists will say we're nuts and we'll eventually run into problems but it's been a good experince so far.  I'm not saying there's no merit to GI is better, it's just we've enjoyed it very much and it's not a life or death rifle for my dad.  I like it alot.  But in my thinking, that's an average to pretty good price.  The funny thing is, when my dad wanted one, all the stores around here had a hard time finding one.  But his has the stainless barrel with the optional parkerizing on it.  Maybe that's why it was hard to find.  I don't know.  If you get it, be safe and shoot straight!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I think if I could do it again I would go with a standard weight barrel also, everything else is great.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a standard and a loaded model (with the black syn stock). Both are keepers. Paid $1,100 one year ago out the door for the loaded model (it was a used early pre-ban with GI parts).
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is this a good setup , with the match parts on a standard rifle. $1450. out the door along with the SA coupon. Imput would be appreciated, thanks

I bought my standard loaded in a GI stock (refinished). It shot about 2 1/2 moa with shifting point of aim. Must have had a loose fit to the stock or something. So off it went to my gunsmith (Gruning Precision) for match conditioning. Now it shoots about 1 1/4 moa 5 round groups. No shift in zero. It never jams (I use GI mags).
My scout also never jams (when used with GI mags). YMMV
I love them both.

Good luck.

Long Range

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased a M1A Standard, never used, factory fresh for about $1K.

It came with a TRW Barrel (circa 1963) & TRW bolt. I swapped out the SAI Op-Rod out for a TRW and viola!

Probably the luckiest purchase I've ever made.  

Hep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top