Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 4:21:17 PM EDT
Is this a good setup , with the match parts on a standard rifle. $1450. out the door along with the SA coupon. Imput would be appreciated, thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 6:41:41 PM EDT by Valkyre]
I bought a SAI "Loaded Standard" M1A MA9222 almost a year ago.

I have never had a single problem with the rifle. I fell in love with her almost immediately.

I have not had a single jam, failure to fire, failure to extract, or anything. And I do not own a single USGI magazine. I use primarily the Taiwan 57 magazines, along with some el cheapo 20 round parked mags of unknown origin.

Accuracy is plenty good. Much better than me. Never shot her off a bench, but I can get 2-ish moa 200 yard groups from the sitting position.

The only problems I have with it are lack of chrome lined barrel and how fat the barrel is. I think my next rifle will have the standard GI contour, so I can mount a foward optic easier (read: scout mount).

Something along the lines of this:

Hope this helps.

(ETA:)
I've fired nearly a thousand rounds through said M1A. Just so you know I haven't fired just a box or two. I love it. The trigger is wonderful, also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 6:46:03 PM EDT by cityrepo61]
TheGunsource is listing guns at cost and they are selling the M1A loaded for 1452.79 before shipping and ffl fees. See the EE

So it would seem you are getting a good deal.

I am mailing out a $900 MO tomorrow for a used M1A Standard, 6 years old, < 500 rounds, no box or papers.

The bottom line is you are getting new!

Thanks
Steve
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:12:31 PM EDT
Plus one on pretty good price. My dad dropped over 1500 with 2 GI 20 round mags and the transfer and tax. But It's been a little less than a year, I'm pretty sure over 500 rounds (I keep forgetting because I haven't kept track, but I've shot it a bunch) and no problems. No GI parts, that I know of. Most of the purists will say we're nuts and we'll eventually run into problems but it's been a good experince so far. I'm not saying there's no merit to GI is better, it's just we've enjoyed it very much and it's not a life or death rifle for my dad. I like it alot. But in my thinking, that's an average to pretty good price. The funny thing is, when my dad wanted one, all the stores around here had a hard time finding one. But his has the stainless barrel with the optional parkerizing on it. Maybe that's why it was hard to find. I don't know. If you get it, be safe and shoot straight!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:10:11 AM EDT
I think if I could do it again I would go with a standard weight barrel also, everything else is great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:06:20 PM EDT
I have a standard and a loaded model (with the black syn stock). Both are keepers. Paid $1,100 one year ago out the door for the loaded model (it was a used early pre-ban with GI parts).
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:35:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dodgeram:
Is this a good setup , with the match parts on a standard rifle. $1450. out the door along with the SA coupon. Imput would be appreciated, thanks

I bought my standard loaded in a GI stock (refinished). It shot about 2 1/2 moa with shifting point of aim. Must have had a loose fit to the stock or something. So off it went to my gunsmith (Gruning Precision) for match conditioning. Now it shoots about 1 1/4 moa 5 round groups. No shift in zero. It never jams (I use GI mags).
My scout also never jams (when used with GI mags). YMMV
I love them both.

Good luck.

Long Range

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 12:56:40 PM EDT by hepcat85]
I purchased a M1A Standard, never used, factory fresh for about $1K.

It came with a TRW Barrel (circa 1963) & TRW bolt. I swapped out the SAI Op-Rod out for a TRW and viola!

Probably the luckiest purchase I've ever made.

Hep
Top Top