Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 10:49:45 PM EDT
Like most people, I load up several test batches at home, take them to the range for testing, record my results, and use that data as input for the next round of batches.  This takes a lot of time, and seems a little wasteful.

Do any of you guys take your components to the range and develop there while shooting?  Seems like this would be so much more efficient.  If so, what's your setup look like?  Any recommendations or lessons learned?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
something like this has crossed my mind.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
yes I do and here is what I do:

-prep and prime all cases I will need for a ladder.  usually fill 1/2 an MTM box with prepped cases and the other 1/2 with bullets.
-I took a part of a 2x8 scrap and mounted a redding PM stand (like this: http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100%3Abench-stand)
-I use a beam scale and trickler
-I also have a lee hand press (this one: http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html)
-I use wood clamps to clamp the 2x8 to a bench.
-also use another rule, I will only bring 1 type of powder with me so that I can NOT mix powders.

at home I use a hornady LNL classis or LNL AP.  I to have so switch out the collars on the dies from the LNL collars to the lee press collars.  the press isn't the best but for seating a small quantity of bullets for load development it is good.  I think it has saved me a couple of times.  the 300 BO loads I loaded last time where way off (too slow) for my 8.5" barrel.  if I prepped it all at home before I would have wasted 15 bullets and powder.  also I usually have enough that after I find what I want to use for a load I can load up a 10 shot group (usually use 5 shot groups) and test them suppressed and/or longer distance
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I do, take my couch side bench  I actually do more loading from the couch than the loading room with this setup. It is sturdy enough for even resizing(not 1x machine gun brass but...)

I paid like $60 for this stand but here it is http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-155024-Reloading-Stand/dp/B0063GSN5O

I use a cheap but really good Gemini 20gram digital scale for weighing charges. Of course you need a micro-adjust powder measure and seater to save time.
The wind is always an issue so plan to block it somehow.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't done it yet, but I'm looking into the L. E. Wilson hand dies. There seems to be uniform praise, as they use a collet type neck sizing method.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
My range doesn't allow that. We don't know how competent someone would be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So you don't allow reloads?

Because there is no difference if the incompetent loads them at home or the range. They are still getting fired at the range.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because there is no difference if the incompetent loads them at home or the range. They are still getting fired at the range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly for the priming process and powder canisters.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top