Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/15/2001 12:13:59 PM EDT
I found an M-1 Garand at my favorite shop today, a Lithgow mfg reciever M-1 Garand. It was obiviously a kit rebuild, new reciever & stock. The barrel had some signs of wear on the exterior (i didn't look down the pipe though)as did the butt plate. Overall, it was a very appealing rifle.

What's the story on these? Are they a bad as the CIA Garands? And what would be a reasonable price to pay for one?

Yes, I know all about CMP Garands, so I really don't need to be told to get one of those. I'm just interested in this variant since australia isn't normally associated U.S.service rifles.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:17:41 PM EDT
I don't think the Lithgow here has any more connection to Australian military than Springfield does to US military the past 30 years.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:32:20 PM EDT
I posted this same question a few months back. I got only bad reports. A local dealer had two beautiful rifles priced at $650 each. I went back a week later and the dealer told me that he sent them back. He said that they were recalled due to a receiver harding problem. I believe they were over hardened and brittle, and may shatter when fired. (note: this is second hand knowlage that I recieved from the local dealer that had two in stock and sent them back, I have at no time ever spoken to Lithgow or their agents directly)

I see Lithgow still runs full page ads in the SGN. They were truely beautiful rifles, nice parked finish and pleasing walnut stock. Awful expensive wall-hanger though.

OSA
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:31:59 PM EDT
Fulton Armory has a review of them on their site. Not favorable. www.fulton-armory.com Go to the FAQ's.
Top Top