Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2007 1:20:49 PM EDT
I've been looking at getting some gear together for SHTF and hopefully future 3 gun events (when I get back to an area of the country that offers them.)  Looking through all these threads and pictures of gear has me a little overwelmed so I figured I would be best off starting with first line gear and working from there.

From what I've looked at it looks like most people have pretty much the same stuf on there 1st line gear.  The standard seems to be a pistol in a drop leg on one side w/ or w/o a couple mag carriers.  I noticed a lot of people also running a drop leg on the other side with a dump pouch or rifle mags.  It seems like the load would balance better with a drop rig on both sides, is that true.  It also seems like it would be best to keep your first line gear with only first line stuff on it, IE no rifle mags.  What do y'all think.  I would like to put a leatherman, flashlight, and a small utility pouch for some basic odd and end stuff there if possible.  I also like to have a fixed blade knife handy.  Do people keep these on their first line gear or on the second line exipment.  I always have a pocket knife either way.  

My other question is what kind of belt do y'all recommend.  I wear a riggers belt everyday.  Is it best just to attatch to that or to have a second belt? Sorry for the dumb questions but my only experience is with my issue TA-50 which is outdated as hell.

BTW my carry pistol for the moment(with this rig atleast) will be my G23.  Eventually it will be replaced with a G35 wth a weapon light.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
First line = what you need to live
Second line = what you need to fight
Third line = what you need for support to keep you supplied during your mission

What goes where is your choice.

Are you a SGT? Where are you that you will be coming back from?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
For some reason I was under the impression that first line gear was everything that was strapped to your belt and in your pockets essentially, second line was your vest/LBE/Chest rig, and third line was your pack essentially.  Dont ask me where I got that from.

So hewre is the question reworded to make more sense, since I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.  I'm looking at putting some gear together for SHTF/3Gun. Where is a good placve to start.

Yes, but I'm in a MEDDAC(hospital). Field training doesnt exist but I'm in podunk Ga, which is like a 3rd world country without the explosions.  I'm kinda like the guy in Blackhawk down that had a skill that made him too valuble to put on the front line(typing).  Except in my case its Xray/CAT Scan/MRI.  I had deployment orders at one point.  When my Col. found out he had them pulled because I was "too expensive to replace".  Thats why I am such a newb compared to other preople with 4 years on active duty.  This should be a seperate branch of the military IMO.  Its not really the Army, its more like an inexpensive labor pool.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For some reason I was under the impression that first line gear was everything that was strapped to your belt and in your pockets essentially, second line was your vest/LBE/Chest rig, and third line was your pack essentially.  Dont ask me where I got that from.
You have this correct. First line is pockets and or on the belt

So here is the question reworded to make more sense, since I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.  I'm looking at putting some gear together for SHTF/3Gun. Where is a good placve to start.
They are not the same.
For SHTF check the survival forum. Some want the gear hidden, some don’t care.
survival forum
For 3 gun check the 3 Gun forums
3 Gun

Yes, but I'm in a MEDDAC(hospital).

I thank you for your Service

Take Care My Friend

Ripak
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to see I'm not completely crazy.  I will reword this thread and post it over in the survival forum as that is where my intrest really is.  I only want to shoot some matches to get a feel for the gear.  But if it won't transfer over then I probably wont waste my time.  (not that any trigger time is a waste.)
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Glad to see I'm not completely crazy.  I will reword this thread and post it over in the survival forum as that is where my intrest really is.  I only want to shoot some matches to get a feel for the gear.  But if it won't transfer over then I probably wont waste my time.  (not that any trigger time is a waste.)

Maybe just maybe instead of doing 3 gun (I know it would be FUN) take some defensive handgun training classes then carbine classes.

Best of luck with whatever you do.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The plan has always been to take a carbine, handgun, and shotgun course first.  i took a basic handgun course earlier this year but I would like to follow it up with at least one more class.  Something more of an intermediate skill level.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The plan has always been to take a carbine, handgun, and shotgun course first.  i took a basic handgun course earlier this year but I would like to follow it up with at least one more class.  Something more of an intermediate skill level.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#8]
You most likely got the idea from some yahoo who put more gear than a backpacker on a belt and called it "first line" when he will never be wearing it while sitting in the office at work.

First line is with you always, not something sitting at home in the closet. A Adventure Medics survival kit in one cargo pocket, a blow out kit or first aid kit in the other, a rolled up water bag in your jacket, etc. is all gear you can carry in most work places.

If legal CCW is an option then you need a civy holster and not a drop leg.

Save the heavy gear for TEOTWAWKI and carry now the items that people won't notice.

Even a tan BDU shirt with the sleeves cut of at the stitching makes a nice survival vest few people would notice (unlike the "shoot me first" 5.11 vest every cop knows about.) One pocket for shelter, one for food procurment, one for first aid/compass/signal, and one for field tools, add civy cargo pants and you got more options.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]

I would say that you've got a fairly good idea of items to put on your 1st line rig/belt.  About the only thing you really can do is try a few things, experiment as to what you prefer.  
3 gun matches and training courses are a good way to try out what works well for you.  Many people will change around their gear as the mood strikes them.
About the only thing you need to watch out for is overloading your belt IMO.  

I like suspenders, even though my padded Eagle belt is fairly light.  That way the belt doesn't have to be very tight-more comfortable.  But I use a PC for matches, rifle courses and work back up.  I personally don't care much for drop legs on each side.
Since I have a 6004 drop leg for my pistol (keeping that similrity thing going with issue stuff) I have a personally owned 6004 for fun/training.  Besides, I'm not supposed to take issue gear (ie vests, holsters, etc for personal usage/training.

You might be better off IMO, with a G23, to use a belt holster of sorts that is similar to where you would normally carry-then when you get the G35+light, you won't have sunk a lot of money into a drop leg that's only back up at best.

A belt with a couple of mags (rifle and pistol)in pouches, dump pouch, holster, knife/multi tool is not overly taxing IMO.

The padded belts are nice, but spendy.  You can go that route, or you could also try a chest rig (Eagle/SKD's product) is quite reasonable and gives you everything basically, except the dump pouch, for about the price of a dop leg holster (at least not the spendier ones).

Good luck and have fun.

And thanks for your service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top