Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 7:43:14 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I am currently living in california, and I had some questions about semi-auto shotguns.

What is the maximum magazine tube capacity I can have on a semi-auto shotgun?
In california, are pistol grips legal on semi-auto shotguns?
What is the maximum capacity I can have on a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Semi-auto shotguns are a bit more relaxed in CA than they were under the fed ban.  A semi-auto shotgun MUST have 2 of either a detachable magazine, pistol grip and telescopic/collapsible/folding stock.  There is no limit on fixed (tube) magazine capacity.  You can have a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a pistol grip and a 30-round tube magazine if you want.  It would be a ridiculous gun, but it would not be an AW.

The only time you need worry about magazine capacity in CA if if you're talking about  the capacity of a detachable magazine.  Anything over 10 rounds cannot be sold, bought, transferred or imported into CA.  There is no such thing as "magazine capacity" when it comes to a firearm, legally speaking.  AW rifles and shotguns are defined by their ability to accept a detachable magazine of any capacity.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, so I can get a Benelli M3 with a pistol grip stock and 8 round tube?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Awesome, so I can get a Benelli M3 with a pistol grip stock and 8 round tube?

Thanks for your help.

yes... they have extensions to bring its capacity to 10rds if you wish as well, but the tube will stick out past the barrel..... It will be legal no matter how many rounds the shotgun holds though... as the previous person indicated.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Hrmm, I have read that the import ban limits the magazine capacity on imported semi-auto shotguns with pistol grip stocks to 5.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hrmm, I have read that the import ban limits the magazine capacity on pistol gripped semi-auto benellis to 5.

Is there any truth to this?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello? Can someone verify MisterFloppy's comment?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it was the '94 AW ban that has sunsetted (is dat a word?).  I remember ther were laws that said you could only have a certain mix of features.  Like: Pistol grip, rifle sights and mag extension were a no-no, but standard stock and mag extension were ok; pistol grip and rifle sights, ok.  Something like that
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to hijack the thread, but anyone got a good source for the Benelli Pistol Grip stock to replace the standard stock?

Thanks!
Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top