Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 7/12/2002 5:52:05 PM EDT
WHY do SP89s need to be registered, according to the BATF, when one puts a "K" vertical grip on it? Is there a good reason?

I'm asking b/c many preban pistols have fore-grips (Tec9s, AR pistols), thus there seems to be an inconsistancy. Thanks for answers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:29:12 PM EDT
Why it's because that adding a vertical foregrip turns your benign "sportsmans" tool into a deadly, evil, ugly weapon that you will surely kill tens of people with for no reason.......

Or because they're a bunch of rediculous bastards that have nothing better to do than come down on good people like you, me, randy weaver...countless others because that's what they do from 9 to 5 everyday while the rest of us are just trying to make a living and be left alone.

A bit cynical perhaps? you betcha.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:37:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DakotaKid:

Or because they're a bunch of rediculous bastards that have nothing better to do than come down on good people like you, me, randy weaver...countless others because that's what they do from 9 to 5 everyday while the rest of us are just trying to make a living and be left alone.

Mike

While I agree with this, the official reason they will give is that adding a "K" grip is not within the federal definition of a pistol and would make it an AOW.

I have an SP89 and would like to do this some day. I just dread having to pay the $200 tax to do it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:17:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fian:

the official reason they will give is that adding a "K" grip is not within the federal definition of a pistol and would make it an AOW.

Yes, but this is where the problem comes from. Dozens of other pistols have the same make-up as a K-gripped SP89, but are still considered pistols. Doesn't make logical sense...but then again, what gun-regulation ever has?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:53:30 PM EDT
I don't see how you could have a pistol with a foregrip and not be in violation of the NFA, unless it is a registered AOW. Maybe people do this and don't worry about it, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

OTOH, if you add a fixed stock and register it as an SBR, you no longer have a pistol, so the "k" grip is ok. Same as if you add a registered auto-sear and go through the required registration.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:55:10 PM EDT

Mike

While I agree with this, the official reason they will give is that adding a "K" grip is not within the federal definition of a pistol and would make it an AOW.

I have an SP89 and would like to do this some day. I just dread having to pay the $200 tax to do it.

I thought the AOW tax was $5?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:06:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stubbs:

the official reason they will give is that adding a "K" grip is not within the federal definition of a pistol and would make it an AOW.

Yes, but this is where the problem comes from. Dozens of other pistols have the same make-up as a K-gripped SP89, but are still considered pistols. Doesn't make logical sense...but then again, what gun-regulation ever has?

Dozens? I can't think on one let alone a dozen. I know many M4gerys have them and so do Thompson 45's,the pistol Thompson had them but I believe that the barrel was 16 in? Anybody that can name 5 wins a ceeegar! There will be no stogie for me,cause I'm drawing a blank.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:46:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

Mike

I thought the AOW tax was $5?

I am not sure, $200 was my first thought, but I could certainly be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:00:54 PM EDT
If you build a AOW, it is on a Form 1 and that costs $200.
If you transfer a AOW on a Form 4, that is $5.

It is usually beneficial to have your local "Class 2"(IIRC) manufacturer build and register the AOW on his license and then transfer the AOW to you. $5 fee for the form 4 and $50-100 to the manufacturer for his time.
Top Top