Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 6:45:11 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting a bolt action rifle but I am curious about the way it is configured. Why the bolt is on the right side for a right hand shooter? From my understanding your shooting hand should always be ready to pull the trigger while loading with the other.
It crossed my mind on getting a regular right hand type so I can shoot left handed, keep my hand (L) ready while loading with my right hand. Does it makes sense? Or should I go and just get a left hand model?
Also my options are limited and I have to spend extra. I wanted a Savage 10FP type but left hand. I got to get the 10 FLP and cut the barrel to 20".

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for the lefty. They are worth it. First, most bolt action rifles are a bit long to hold on target with just the strong side hand while the weak side hand does other things. Second, if you try to use your right hand to work the bolt with the left still around the pistol grip, you'll find that with most, if not all rifles, you can't do it because the bolt is blocked by the thumb of your left hand. Unless you wrap your left hand thumb to where it is on the left side of the pistol grip, in which case you truly DO NOT have any real control over the rifle.Not good.Might not be a factor for a precision type rig that will be used off a rest, and you could get a decent groove going with that setup, but kind of a jerry rigged setup to me.

I ponied up and bought my first LH bolt action, a Remington 700 LSS, back in '02 and now will only consider right hand bolt rifles such as 03's, 1917s, and other mil rifles that were only righty friendly.For a general use hunting bolt gun, I'm pretty much done with right (wrong) handed designs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That cleared a lot. I am so used to semi autos that I had the mentality of having the shooting hand in the always ready position.
I guess I'll go the "right" way and get a southpaw bolt action and leave the Nagant M44 and other "oldies" right hand models for a fun plinker like you said.
Now what about barrel length? Cause the FP model (20") looks like the best medium but 24", I think it is pushing it a little. I already have a 24" and it is quite a big package. Any big difference between the two besides fps?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a left-handed shooter also and bishopm14 could not have said it better.  Get the lefty rifle.

Don't know about the fps difference between 20" and 24" barrels.  It shouldn't be too difficult to look up somewhere.  IMHO just get the 20" and practice with it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IMHO just get the 20" and practice with it.

It's just not right when you are limited to the features of a specific model. I am going to e-mail Savage to see if they offer the model 10FLP with a 20" barrel and the McMillan stock.

Thanks guys.

* All right, I gave them a call and they said that the dealer has to call Savage so they can do an special order, 20" barrel with the McMillan stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top