Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2002 2:10:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Gun parts Corp has 5 round mags.

The same things that made the #5 a good jungle warfare rifle, also make it a good hunting rifle.
The large peep sight is good in bad light, the flash hider protects your vision in the over cast light in the woods, the bolt action is the fastest in the world, and it's powerful enough for most game.  It's also short,light,and handy.
Good choice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you certain the 10 rd mag. isn't legal to hunt with?

In Colo. and most of the western states, I think, limit only semi auto rifles to 5 rounds. But everyone seems to think it includes all rifles. I've even had people tell me lever actions that hold more than 5 rds are "illegal" to hunt with.

But if they would only read the rules that come out every spring they would see it ain't so.

Of course, NY and the eastern states just may be different.

The last deer I shot was with my #4MK1 without a scope. Took her at about 160 yards. Enfields make great deer guns.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh well, I tried.

I just love my Enfield. I can't decide if it or my M1 is my favorite big bore plinker. It certainly is my favorite bolt gun.

I came up with a load using Sierra 180 gr softpoints at about the same velocity as mil-spec. Thus the sights are pretty close for hunting ranges. Unfortunatly, brass is short lived in .303 Brit., only 3 or 4 loadings per. But I tired something new with this last lot of virgin brass. [fingers crossed]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
What markings does it have?

Scott

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I`d check on the mag capacity issue.....5 round limit on autoloaders....but otherwise I THINK you`re ok......I have a synthetic stock on my mk1 #3....chopped the bbl to 20" and mounted a 4 power simmons....what a great shooter....check with cheaper than dirt.com for parts....also..surplus 303 is plentiful and not costly....this would make a nice brush gun...I have a gibbs remake in 308....only change I made was adding a williams peep sight....this one is a real shoulder bruiser........
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The laws out East here are usually specific about mag capacity and "blocking" a higher-cap mag to that specified capacity.  

If you can't find a 5-shot mag, consider picking up a second 10-shot and fitting a self-tapping screw in the mag body at the front of from each side to limit capacity to 5.  This passed inspection by Conservation Officers in both WV and PA.

Noah

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
ProMag is currently making 5 and 10 round mags for Enfield rifles.  I've gotten a couple and they are reliable.  The synthetic stocks are also a good choice.  They aren't very difficult to install and look great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Advanced technology stock from cheaper than dirt.....about $50...worth it........molson canadian or labatt`s blue.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Check out this website www.britishguns.net/ for lot's of great information on Enfields.

I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE my Enfields!

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh I looked at the markings-says "England 1946" on the metal band on the stock there is a crown w/some letters underneath on the receiver (CMP?). Guess I better write that down tonight.

IIRC, the Royal Cypher should be G.R. under the crown, for George VI (in a 1946 rifle). However, again IIRC, the Royal Cpher was gone by the early forties.

To indicate a true Number 5 Mark I (or the RARE Number 5 Mark II) should be marked ROF(F) for Fazakerley production, and M47C for BSA Shirley made rifles. Many importers Have at times (even currently) forged Jungle Carbines. One of the earlier faking importers marked the guns they converted "Jungle Carbine" on the left receiver walls. A dead giveaway, because service Number 5s were NEVER so marked by the British.....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Actually only prototypes of the No5MK2 were made. It never went into production (from "SAIS .303 Rifle, No. 5 Mk 1" by Ian Skennerton). I would be surprised if any exist outside of museums if at all. If you have seen pictures of one... Show me where, I would like to check one out.

All of the Gibbs Jungle Carbine copies I have seen still bear No. 4 markings. They also do not have the distinctive lightening cuts of the original. Another difference is the rear sight... An original No. 5 rear sight will be milled or stamped, and have graduations up to 800 yards as opposed to No. 4 sights that have graduations to 1300 yards. The bolt handle will be hollowed out on a No. 5, but this feature exists on some No. 4s as well.

Note the difference between the receivers of my No.4 Mk 2 (top photo) and my No. 5 Mk 1. (bottom)

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#15]
BRAVO TANGO TANGO

Scott

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#17]

BNP under crown = British Nitro Proof

Standard commercial export proof mark.

ENGLAND was stamped on arms supplied to foreign countries, and an upward pointing broad arrow mark is a govt. acceptance mark.

The important markings are on the left flat of the receiver. For instance my No. 5 has the following:

No5MK1 ROF (F)
2/45 G35XX

This indicates that the rifle was manufactured at ROF Fazakerley in February 1945, with a serial of G35XX (I x'ed out the last two).

No. 5s were produced only in England at Fazakerley, and B.S.A. Shirley between 1944 and 1947. Less then 300,000 No.5s were manufactured in total.

The bolt handle should have a matching serial. If you are lucky, the forearm, and magazine will too.

If the markings indicate a No4 rifle, then it was privately converted for the commercial market.

Until a couple of years ago No. 5s were fairly scarce. This has changed since Century imported a bunch from Indonesia recently.

I am not a ballistics guy, so I can't answer your other question. I just shoot 'em.

Now... Does anyone have an excellent condition Wilkinson No.5 MK 1 bayonet to sell me?

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. DScottHewitt,
My Skennerton book indicates that 100 No.5 MK2 rifles were manufactured by BSA Shirley. I'd sure like one of those.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

P.S. DScottHewitt,
My Skennerton book indicates that 100 No.5 MK2 rifles were manufactured by BSA Shirley. I'd sure like one of those.

Chris,

I would, too. Someone once had an article in the Enfield Collector's Digest (Alaska Enfield Headquarters) about finding one of the trials rifles at a gun show for like $175. Lucky bastage....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh well, I tried.

I just love my Enfield. I can't decide if it or my M1 is my favorite big bore plinker. It certainly is my favorite bolt gun.

I came up with a load using Sierra 180 gr softpoints at about the same velocity as mil-spec. Thus the sights are pretty close for hunting ranges. Unfortunatly, brass is short lived in .303 Brit., only 3 or 4 loadings per. But I tired something new with this last lot of virgin brass. [fingers crossed]

Two things to extend .303 brass life:  1) Don't load to or even near max.  In my experience, about halfway on the "recommended" range gives me the best accuracy (though I'll admit even "best" accuracy ain't all that great) anyway.  2)  Use a Lee collet neck-sizer die - NEVER full-length resize unless the case just won't chamber.  I've gotten over 5 reloads out of a batch of Greek surplus stuff without any signs of case head separation using this method.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I noticed right away not to f/l resize. I do the partical with my f/l die. Just the case neck down to the shoulder is all I do.

My new experiment was to expand the virgin cases up to .35 cal in two steps then run it through the sizing die back down to normal. The expansion to .35 will almost remove all traces of the original shoulder. What I'm trying to do is move the shoulder forward without firing it.

I might have cases that split in the mouth later, but I'll find out when I get there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice looking rifles, isn't the not over five in auto-loaders for cal. less than thirty?

Bob
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe in OK. But not in CO. and probably not in most states.

I know CO. and NE. limit semi auto rifles to 5 rds if you're hunting big game but have no mag restrictions if you're hunting small game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top