Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2013 8:14:37 AM EDT
Im seriously thinking about having a SBR cerakoted, but Im wondering how if it is legal to leave my SBR with someone doesnt have SOT ?

It is my understanding you can leave it with a SOT for repairs so long as there is some sort of work order on your rifle, just not sure about a non SOT.

Otherwise could I have him do just the lower one day and then the upper the next day and that way im not technically leaving a SBR ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Doing it separately would be ok if you are unsure. A registered lower is just a lower without a long upper on it. Go back the next day "oh how clumsy of me to give you half a rifle. Hark! the other half, go ahead and paint the top like you did the bottom. I'll take that lower now. *yoink*"
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as the entity doing the work has at least a Type 1 FFL, then there is no issue leaving the gun or shipping them the gun for that matter.  A licensed gunsmith may work on any firearm, Title I or NFA.  A Form 5 is suggested for transfer but is not required.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, I guess lll either have him do the upper and lower separately or just hang around the shop while he does it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is an idea, read the ATF/FAQ on the subject.

Q: May a licensed gunsmith receive an
firearm for purposes of repair?

Yes, for the sole purpose of repair and subsequent return to its owner. It is suggested that the owner obtain permission from
for the transfer by completing and mailing  Form 5to the
Branch and receive approval prior to the delivery. The gunsmith should do the same prior to returning the firearm. Only the face of the form needs to be completed in each instance.
Forms 5 may be obtained from the Bureau of
Branch.
Form 5 is also available on the internet at
www.atf.gov

OMG, it is almost exactly what homeinvader posted.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Q: May a licensed gunsmith receive an  firearm for purposes of repair?

Yes, for the sole purpose of repair and subsequent return to its owner. It is suggested that the owner obtain permission from  for the transfer by completing and mailing  Form 5to the  Branch and receive approval prior to the delivery. The gunsmith should do the same prior to returning the firearm. Only the face of the form needs to be completed in each instance.  Forms 5 may be obtained from the Bureau of ,  Branch.  Form 5 is also available on the internet at www.atf.gov

View Quote

I dont get why you would even take the time to post if you dont have anything constructive to add to this post ? (Personal attack here deleted by moderator.)

I already got the info that I needed from others who DID have something constructive to add........
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I dont get why you would even take the time to post if you dont have anything constructive to add to this post ? (Personal attack here deleted by moderator.)

I already got the info that I needed from others who DID have something constructive to add........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q: May a licensed gunsmith receive an  firearm for purposes of repair?

Yes, for the sole purpose of repair and subsequent return to its owner. It is suggested that the owner obtain permission from  for the transfer by completing and mailing  Form 5to the  Branch and receive approval prior to the delivery. The gunsmith should do the same prior to returning the firearm. Only the face of the form needs to be completed in each instance.  Forms 5 may be obtained from the Bureau of ,  Branch.  Form 5 is also available on the internet at www.atf.gov

citing the actual ATF FAQ and providing a hyperlink is about as constructive as it gets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dont get why you would even take the time to post if you dont have anything constructive to add to this post ? Oh i know, your trying to get your post count up as high as can by posting meaningless BS on any thread that you can, OMG 25k POSTS, and to think you got to that number with crap like this lol sad really.
View Quote

Did he not post the link to the form and the text from the ATF FAQ section??

Maybe this quote tree is messed up... but looks like renegade is the best reply of the lot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
citing the actual ATF FAQ and providing a hyperlink is about as constructive as it gets.
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.  What's with these babies?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure, there was some mild sarcasm at your failure to check the ATF for this info, but the fact is I sourced the correct info to the ATF FAQ. No one else did that. So my post is far from a failure to add something constructive, in fact it was the most constructive.

BTW., the first response was incorrect and could lead to a felony situation. Good luck with that info.

Your welcome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BTW., the first response was incorrect and could lead to a felony situation. Good luck with that info.

Your welcome.
View Quote

Yeah... you get an ATF audit of the FFL, and you could have a lot of ass ache on your hands if they put 2 and 2 together in his AD&D logs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

As long as the entity doing the work has at least a Type 1 FFL, then there is no issue leaving the gun or shipping them the gun for that matter.  A licensed gunsmith may work on any firearm, Title I or NFA.  A Form 5 is suggested for transfer but is not required.
View Quote
Or you could be like my local gunshop that engraved my lower.

"It was illegal for us to take possession of your SBR lower (just the lower), so I hid it at my house until our engraving guy could pick it up so the shop wouldn't get in trouble."

Of course he said this as I was paying.  I'm also not a big fan of the font he used.  It looks good, but I wanted it to match the factory engraving.

I'll be using one of the popular companies from now on.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"It was illegal for us to take possession of your SBR lower (just the lower), so I hid it at my house until our engraving guy could pick it up so the shop wouldn't get in trouble."

Of course he said this as I was paying.  I'm also not a big fan of the font he used.  It looks good, but I wanted it to match the factory engraving.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people engrave the lower prior to submitting their forms. At this point, the lower is not an "SBR Lower" it's just a lower. And in fact, without the SBR upper, it's still just a lower...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Most people engrave the lower prior to submitting their forms. At this point, the lower is not an "SBR Lower" it's just a lower. And in fact, without the SBR upper, it's still just a lower...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that, you know that, my local shop has got some special ideas about NFA.

Also, not allowed to have multiple uppers/different calibers for one SBR lower according to them.

They're still the best shop in town though, and aside from dumbness about the intricacies of NFA, their shit is straight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
The issue here is that the guy does cerakoting is neither a FFL holder or a gunsmith.

Hes just a guy that nows how to do cerakoting.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The issue here is that the guy does cerakoting is neither a FFL holder or a gunsmith.

Hes just a guy that nows how to do cerakoting.

View Quote

If that's the case, then you obviously can't leave it. He can't work on any gun in the absence if the owner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top