Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/14/2002 12:04:08 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these?

They seem pretty idiot proof (which suits me well), any impressions?

I know there are several brands available so let me know what you have and if where you got it.

Rather not spend too much on one, hell if anyone in the STL area has one they can loan me for a day or two, I would appreciate it a lot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:15:17 AM EDT
I have one HKocher, and I go to Wash U. Problem is, it's at home in IL, and I won't touch it until next weekend. I'd have to check to see if the batteries are still good. It will work in .223 and .308.

What I use it for basically is a starting point for zeroing my AR (and the Mini-14 I used to have). I go to my basement and put my gun on a sandbag. Then, I chamber the round (which is the laser boresighter), and it shoots out the laser against the wall. I then zero my irons or scope against this point.

Basically HKocher, it's good for taking care of windage. This saves time at the range in my opinion, assuming your gun won't shoot 3" right or left away from the axis of the barrel. You'll only have to worry about elevation in theory.

Oh yeah, I tried this outdoors on a cloudy day at 25 yards....couldn't see the damned laser light, which kind of made me POed.

themao
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:38:42 AM EDT
Themao, that what I looking for. I got a new scope for the AR, and I just want to be able to get it on paper, then I can fine tune it.

Are you going to make it to the Columbia shoot? If so, it would be great if you could bring it along. If not, we could meet for a shoot someday, or just a beer or two (I'll buy) and I could borrow it for the day. I'm in no big hurry.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:14:45 AM EDT
I saw these at the wal-mart here.. funny thing is a lot of them were tapped up. I bet people buy them, use them and return them..

Like people used to do with power tools at home depot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:58:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HKocher:
Themao, that what I looking for. I got a new scope for the AR, and I just want to be able to get it on paper, then I can fine tune it.

Are you going to make it to the Columbia shoot? If so, it would be great if you could bring it along. If not, we could meet for a shoot someday, or just a beer or two (I'll buy) and I could borrow it for the day. I'm in no big hurry.

If the Columbia shoot is going to be April 27th, no I won't since I have a final exam that Monday. If it will be in May, yes I will.

Anyway, just e-mail me at bmr2@cec.wustl.edu to remind me. I'll pick it up next weekend. I may be going to Busch Wildlife shooting range next Sunday for a break before finals week starts here at WashUastan.

themao
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:43:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HKocher:

HKocher, why not do what I do for bolt guns - in your case:

1. Count the total number of clicks available in terms of both windage and elvation. Center each at the mid point of the click value.

2. Mount the scope - make sure you are as close as possible to the center line of the bore as possible. Make sure the scope is level with the bore. Make sure the rectical is not canted.

3. Separate the upper from the lower. Secure the lower to a flat surface. Find a point in the distance (spot on the wall / target out about 25 yrds / whatever). Center that spot in bore. Dial the scope into the spot.

4. Your done. You will be on paper.

Good luck.

Correct mounting is the key. Getting on paper is a 2 second deal - with or without gizmos.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:19:58 PM EDT
I bore-sight an AR basically the way SIX mentions, both with irons and with a scope. It's pretty easy. In fact, I don't even center the clicks. I just move the X-hairs to the picture I see through the bore.

I'd only use a collimator or laser on a rifle where I couldn't easily look through the bore while keeping the scope mounted.
Top Top