Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2013 4:31:29 AM EDT
Anyone have the UCIW Ultra Compact Stock on their SBR?  I am trying to decide if it's worth the $130 to get a inch shorter.

My SBR is already down to 25" collapsed and I'm trying to trim it down as much as I can.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
i think they mean the "ultra compact stock" is an inch shorter than the "compact stock".

and i think you are also a little more than inch shorter if you use the shorter buffer tube that comes with the UCIW stock.

just guessing ... but probly 3+" shorter than a SOPMOD stock with carbine buffer tube.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It is about 2" shorter than a magpul str or moe. Has a short tube and shorty buffer. The spring is flat coil. It is tiny but I like it.
Full rifle pic in sbr pc thread page 86

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Exactly what I was hoping to hear and picture is great. Thanks guys!  Looks like I'll be getting one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my 9mm SBR.

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
That ^^^^ is badass.  I'm gonna have to get one of those stock setups.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
For anyone that's considering one of these stocks, two things.  One, they do feel solid, and two, LWRC is running a 20% off Black Friday sale - so it's only $104.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For anyone that's considering one of these stocks, two things.  One, they do feel solid, and two, LWRC is running a 20% off Black Friday sale - so it's only $104.
View Quote

With the sale going on I ordered one for a 7" build I have.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dammit, I ordered Friday.  I called them up and I asked if I could add another couple stocks to the order and get the discount and they said no way.  Oh well...I figured they might want to sell a couple more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Do they have proprietary buffers for this size stock? If so, do they have different weight buffers to run with a suppressor?  I have a 10.5" SBR, but want to run with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks! Just ordered one

Dave N
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw the 20% today so I ordered.  

I can't wait!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Got mine, installed on my 9mm SBR.  I'm not sure yet what I'll end up with for a buffer.  Some quick length measurements:

LWRC Ultra Compact buffer - 2.157"
H2 buffer - 3.245"
Spikes 9mm buffer - 4.113"

The H2 buffer (or any 'standard' buffer) still allows enough travel that it should cycle fine with 9mm.   The extended 9mm buffer is definitely too long.  I need to get another tungsten weight to add to my H2 and try it out.  It looks like it will be tough to get 'heavy' 9mm buffer weights in this short of a package.  Of course, I have no idea what the rate is of the flatwire spring that LWRC includes, which will be a factor as well.

ETA:  I just realized that heavybuffers makes a carbine buffer that weighs 8.5 oz.  That might be the ticket for this stock on a 9mm gun.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not use a standard (non X) 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why not use a standard (non X) 9mm buffer?
View Quote

IIRC a standard 9mm buffer is just a little heavier than an H3.  It will likely work, but these things tend to work better with an even heavier buffer.  There is an 8.5 oz standard length buffer available that should work well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Got mine yesterday!
Mounted it on a 10.5" 5.56.

Loving it.

Dave N
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got one but I just ordered 2 more thanks to LWRC's black friday 20% off sale!
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a chance to put some rounds down range with the UC stock today.  I used it with my suppressed 9mm setup first, subbing an H2 buffer for the UC2 buffer that the stock comes with.  It ran fine with that, felt pretty good, but I want to try a heavier buffer.  That said, I don't think it will need a 9 oz buffer like I use normally.  This is my perception based on feel but also on what happened when I tried the UC stock with a different upper.

I also brought a 5.45x39 AR with me.  It has a S&W barrel with carbine length gas, semi auto bolt, and an H buffer.  It's 100% reliable and shoots smooth with this combination.  I put this 5.45 upper on the lower with the UC stock after putting the UC2 buffer back in it.  It shot fine except it would not lock the bolt back on the last round.  I repeated this several times with different mags.  The point is, this upper works with a 3.8 oz H buffer, carbine spring, and standard receiver extension but with the UC setup using their flat wire spring and the 3.2 oz UC2 buffer it wouldn't lock the bolt back.  So the shorter UC stock setup with their flat wire spring seems to need less buffer weight for proper function (not surprised really but I'm just trying things out).

So far I really like this stock for a compact SBR.  I'll try it with a .223/5.56 setup ASAP and see how it works with the UC2 buffer.  If it needs to be lightened up, it shouldn't be a problem as the UC2 buffer appears to have two tungsten weights in it which I believe can be replaced with standard steel weights one or both at a time...I think they are the standard size of buffer weights but would need to confirm.

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Any change in blowback with the UCIW stock/buffer compared to the heavy 9mm buffer? Just curious as I usually run slash's 8.5oz 9mm on my suppressed 9mm. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I think I noticed a bit more.  That would likely indicate a little more buffer weight would be better, right?
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got a chance to put some rounds down range with the UC stock today.  I used it with my suppressed 9mm setup first, subbing an H2 buffer for the UC2 buffer that the stock comes with.  It ran fine with that, felt pretty good, but I want to try a heavier buffer.  That said, I don't think it will need a 9 oz buffer like I use normally.  This is my perception based on feel but also on what happened when I tried the UC stock with a different upper.

I also brought a 5.45x39 AR with me.  It has a S&W barrel with carbine length gas, semi auto bolt, and an H buffer.  It's 100% reliable and shoots smooth with this combination.  I put this 5.45 upper on the lower with the UC stock after putting the UC2 buffer back in it.  It shot fine except it would not lock the bolt back on the last round.  I repeated this several times with different mags.  The point is, this upper works with a 3.8 oz H buffer, carbine spring, and standard receiver extension but with the UC setup using their flat wire spring and the 3.2 oz UC2 buffer it wouldn't lock the bolt back.  So the shorter UC stock setup with their flat wire spring seems to need less buffer weight for proper function (not surprised really but I'm just trying things out).

So far I really like this stock for a compact SBR.  I'll try it with a .223/5.56 setup ASAP and see how it works with the UC2 buffer.  If it needs to be lightened up, it shouldn't be a problem as the UC2 buffer appears to have two tungsten weights in it which I believe can be replaced with standard steel weights one or both at a time...I think they are the standard size of buffer weights but would need to confirm.

http://www.krichbaum.net/pics/i.php?/upload/2013/12/01/20131201160308-fb1a4a11-la.jpg
View Quote

What's the length of the UCIW stock collapsed?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It came in and I test fitted at work just to see the length.  Looks like it will bring my 8.5" barreled 300 blackout down to a hair under 23".  I can't wait to try it out.  Fully collapsed I can still get a good sight picture in my P-223 3x scope.

Fully collapsed including the endplate is exactly 6" on mine.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It came in and I test fitted at work just to see the length.  Looks like it will bring my 8.5" barreled 300 blackout down to a hair under 23".  I can't wait to try it out.  Fully collapsed I can still get a good sight picture in my P-223 3x scope.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/dyihunting/IMG_201312023933_zps368ec339.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/dyihunting/IMG_201312023933_zps368ec339.jpg

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
What does it weigh?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the heads up I ordered one for my SBR during the Black Friday sale. Anyone have an idea if you could get the JP silent captured buffer to work in this?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

That is beautiful
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Looking to pair this up with a 9.5" KAC SR-30, but the Knights buffer is 4.56 oz.(H2).
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looking to pair this up with a 9.5" KAC SR-30, but the Knights buffer is 4.56 oz.(H2).
View Quote

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any ideas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?

I would try it with the UC2 buffer and flat wire spring that comes with the stock.  The UC2 buffer is lighter than an H2 but its not an applies to applies comparison.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#29]
My first stock came with a normal end plate but my recent order of 2 stocks came with the LWRC Ambi QD Plate. Did I just get lucky or was my first stock supposed to come with the QD end plate?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think I noticed a bit more.  That would likely indicate a little more buffer weight would be better, right?
View Quote

Yes, at least that has been my experience with my suppressed 9mm AR.

Has anyone popped open a UC2 buffer to see what weights are inside? I wonder if the 6.8 UCIW uses the UC2 buffer or a heavier version? The reason I ask is because I know that the 6.8 PSD always shipped with an H2 buffer. Although that may not be apples to apples since they now have a new carrier design.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That is beautiful
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is beautiful
desperately needs a Moe K or K2 grip. otherwise just about perfect.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Weighed my buffer at 3.2 oz.  

I had been running a 9mm buffer with a 7" barrel.   I do get the sense it cycles faster, had one magazine where the rounds didn't seem to make it to the top in time.  But it was also a new magazine so it might have just been defective.

Makes my SBR much more interesting, I might finally break the cherry on a Spike's 22LR upper I wasn't sure about keeping.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is beautiful

Eh, I have big hands so the Magpul MIAD with the biggest blackstrap works better than the the MOE that's made for girlie hands.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Has anyone popped open a UC2 buffer to see what weights are inside? I wonder if the 6.8 UCIW uses the UC2 buffer or a heavier version? The reason I ask is because I know that the 6.8 PSD always shipped with an H2 buffer. Although that may not be apples to apples since they now have a new carrier design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I opened my UC2 up and IIRC it had two tungsten weights.  So it can be tuned lighter but not heavier.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Weighed my buffer at 3.6 oz.   Just a little lighter than an H buffer.
View Quote

Mine is 3.2oz...is yours marked UC2?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a chance to try the UC stock with a 5.56 gun today.  

-Complete UC stock as it comes from LWRC (flat wire spring and UC2 buffer)
-Upper was an LMT MRP with 10.5" barrel, LMT full auto BCG, and AAC mini-4 can mounted
-ammo was my reloads (23.5gr WC844F under 55gr FMJ)
-mag was a Magpul Emag

I only shot a couple mags worth of ammo, but I loaded one or two rounds into the mag 10 times to see if it locked back.  Twice out of ten tries, it failed to lock back.  This is basically a factory MRP CQB 10.5" upper with AAC mount and mini-4 can on it.  Even with the can, it was not 100% functional if you consider locking back on an empty mag to be required for proper function.  I normally use this upper on a lower with an A5 buffer system and have had 100% reliable function on that setup, including locking back on empty mags.  This confirms for me that you just can't compare the UC2 buffer weight to the buffer weights in a standard system (when I also consider how it functioned with my S&W 5.45 upper).

ETA:  Thinking about this more, something doesn't seem right.  I don't get into ejection patterns much, but this combo was ejecting to about 2:00.  That would seem to indicate it needs more buffer weight.  Too much bolt speed could also cause it to not lock back, but usually that also results in more harsh recoil...it seemed to be shooting extremely smooth though.  I'm gonna have to mess around with this some more before I'm really sure what's going on.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm waiting on a Form 1 for a 300blk SBR, and I love the looks of this little stock.  Any thoughts on how it would work, or what buffer I would want?  I don't mind experimenting with buffers, but I don't want to buy if I'll struggle to get it functioning.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Krichbaum, does the bolt lock back if a regular CAR buffer is used? Can you slap one in and then just charge the rifle with an empty mag to see if the bolt locks.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#39]
just got mine today, brings my 8.5in 556 to 23 3/8"
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Krichbaum, does the bolt lock back if a regular CAR buffer is used? Can you slap one in and then just charge the rifle with an empty mag to see if the bolt locks.

Thanks.
View Quote

No, it doesn't have enough travel to engage the bolt catch, or to function at all with 223 and a regular buffer.  The tube is shortened so the buffer has to be as well.  I think I posted the lengths earlier in this thread and the UC2 buffer is over an inch shorter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#41]
If someone could get a precise length of the body. . .maybe we could get HEAVYBUFFERS to cut down some tungsten buffers to a H2/H3 weight.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some quick length measurements:

LWRC Ultra Compact buffer - 2.157"
H2 buffer - 3.245"
Spikes 9mm buffer - 4.113"
View Quote

That's the total buffer length.  LWRC shortened the metal body of the buffer as well as the end cap to get the total length down.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#43]
. . .
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#44]
That's with the bump pad. We should only need the body.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Noobs

As for the micro stock, I could see it for use with body armor, but I can't imagine it would be very comfortable to fire for long with it fully collapsed without some sort of negative-rake grip setup
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#46]
^---Doesn't look well-thought-out. What happens when one of those flimsy rods gets snagged? Ha.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
^---Doesn't look well-thought-out. What happens when one of those flimsy rods gets snagged? Ha.
View Quote

You ever tried to bend a 5/16" hardened rod? They don't stick out past the handguard on each side.

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If someone could get a precise length of the body. . .maybe we could get HEAVYBUFFERS to cut down some tungsten buffers to a H2/H3 weight.
View Quote

^_____this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would be AWESOME
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not taking my buffer back apart right now, but the best I can tell is the body of the buffer is 1.92".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top