Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2009 12:42:16 PM EDT
Ok, finally got my shorty to the range.  It turns out I built a bolt action, sinlge shot AR.  I just about threw it downrange and went home.  Usually anyhting I build just runs and runs but this thing has other plans.  Anyone have any suggestions.  I guess I'm in over my head.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you build the lower?

FCG?

LMT...Piston? Is it striking the BCG and moving it back far enough?

Do you have the right buffer? Do you have the right BCG?

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It is not a piston upper.  I built the lower.  It's a Tactical Innovations with a Stag LPK.  The bcg is a LMT full auto carrier with an improved bolt.  The buffer and spring are standard carbine.  A couple things I'm going to try next trip are just one round at a time in the mag to see if it catches open properly, try a SA carrier with improved bolt and regular bolt.  If that doesn't work I'm being told I may have to alter the gas port at the barrel.  I was looking for any other suggestions.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if it matters to you but according to lmt enhanced bolts are not to be used on guns w/ less than 14.5" bbls

ETA: try an H buffer too
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Single shot behavior is usually a result of short-stroking. Too heavy of a buffer, too light of a buffer, too strong of an action spring, small gas port, loose gas key, mis-aligned gas tube, damaged gas tube, etc. are all possibilities.

This thread in the troubleshooting forum may be relevant.

Quoted:
It is not a piston upper.  I built the lower.  It's a Tactical Innovations with a Stag LPK.  The bcg is a LMT full auto carrier with an improved bolt.  The buffer and spring are standard carbine.  A couple things I'm going to try next trip are just one round at a time in the mag to see if it catches open properly, try a SA carrier with improved bolt and regular bolt.  If that doesn't work I'm being told I may have to alter the gas port at the barrel.  I was looking for any other suggestions.  Thanks.

Should have done that the first time around.

Quoted:
I don't know if it matters to you but according to lmt enhanced bolts are not to be used on guns w/ less than 14.5" bbls

The enhanced bolts are okay. The enhanced carriers are used on over gassed guns.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
In just ordered a LMT 10.5 from Bravo Co today and a BCM bolt carrier group and from Spikes the ST-T2 buffer as i been told thats the ticket for a 10.5 SBR.
Keep up to date on how yours go's...be a while before i get all my parts....
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
did you try the upper on a different lower?sounds like a trigger disconnect problem possibly as mentioned earlier.

i can tell you from experience that lmt 10.5 uppers like tactical innovations lowers

mine has run like a top with anything i've fed it.i use an lmt full auto bcg and have run carbine,h,h2,and a spikes st-t2 buffer without problems.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright fellas, thanks for all of the pointers.  I'll try a bunch of different things at the range next time.  I know I should have worked with it a little at the time but I just got frustrated and put it back in the carrier and broke out my other rifles that work and continued to have a great day.  Thanks again.  I'll update this thread when I find out what works.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I just took my new LMT upper out today, worked like a charm. I'm using an H Buffer and a FA bolt carrier

I hope you can get yours to work
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just took my new LMT upper out today, worked like a charm. I'm using an H Buffer and a FA bolt carrier

Is yours a 10.5 ? .....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is yours a 10.5 ? .....

Yes.. Sorry I forgot to put that in my post

ETA: Pic

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine did the same thing the first time out. You should check the gas port on the barrel. My port was partially blocked by a piece of metal from drilling. I knocked it out and it runs great now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine did the same thing the first time out. You should check the gas port on the barrel. My port was partially blocked by a piece of metal from drilling. I knocked it out and it runs great now.

i've had the same problem on *2* LMT 10.5" uppers.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Check your gas block.  I have seen them misaligned or setup up for a ring and miss when used with no ring.

Also Once I saw a gas tube installed upside down.....you think they would have wondered why it was so hard to bend to get into the Upper receiver.....

Dan
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check your gas block.  I have seen them misaligned or setup up for a ring and miss when used with no ring.

Also Once I saw a gas tube installed upside down.....you think they would have wondered why it was so hard to bend to get into the Upper receiver.....

Dan

I did that to myself one time

E: Subscribe for outcome
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
How do ya go about checking your gas port hole? Do ya need to knock out the FSB pins and take a look? Mine should be here Weds.Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is yours a 10.5 ? .....

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s137/unsungpatriots/100_3438.jpg

Thats a good looking gun...i see mine looking very simuliar but useing DD Omega....might get the Knight rail covers though.Useing my Aimpoint Comp ML2.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How do ya go about checking your gas port hole? Do ya need to knock out the FSB pins and take a look? Mine should be here Weds.Thanks!

i would try it first.. before popping pins out of anything

just break down the BCG, clean it and lube it, lightly lube your carrier and make sure you have your h buffer in... if it doesnt work then troubleshoot
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is yours a 10.5 ? .....

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s137/unsungpatriots/100_3438.jpg

Thats a good looking gun...i see mine looking very simuliar but useing DD Omega....might get the Knight rail covers though.Useing my Aimpoint Comp ML2.

thank you, and i was thinking of buying a dd omega but the knights rail was so cheap i couldnt pass it up. Knights covers are my favorite. .they grip real tight and they come off easy when youw ant them to.  good choice on the aimpoint as well, i would have bought one but i have to make use of my trijicons as i already have a couple and never use em
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would try it first.. before popping pins out of anything

just break down the BCG, clean it and lube it, lightly lube your carrier and make sure you have your h buffer in... if it doesnt work then troubleshoot

If it was me knowing what I went through when mine was acting up, I would suggest checking the port first. If it is blocked then you didnt waste a trip to the range. YMMV..

Yes, knock out the FSB pins and shine a light down the barrel and have a looksee. Also take a punch and gently insert it into the port and see if there is any blockage.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
To check for a total blockage, upside gas tube, gas tube drilled wrong (yes, i've seen that too), remove the rail and brl nut.  Take out brl assembly with gas block and tube still attached and blow down gas tube.  Air should be coming out the barrel.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, it worked fine for the first two clips.  Then it started acting up so I put one round in the clip, it fired and the bolt stayed open.  I repeated this test throughout the day.  So then I loaded 4 rounds in and I had to manually cycle it each time.  So, I grabbed a standard bcg and put it in with the same result.  I tried c mags, polymer p mags and some colt mags with orange and green followers.  Nothing made a difference.  I then went back to the full auto bcg with the enhanced bolt and it didn't run any better.  So, I pulled the enhanced bolt and put it in a standard carrier and then I got failure to feed and extraction problems while manually trying to cycle it.  I didn't have any other buffers or springs with me but I'm not sure it would have changed the resluts any.  I will pull it down and check the gas port at the barrel next I guess.  If I can't figure it out there will be one for cheap in the EE.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, it worked fine for the first two clips.  Then it started acting up so I put one round in the clip, it fired and the bolt stayed open.  I repeated this test throughout the day.  So then I loaded 4 rounds in and I had to manually cycle it each time.  So, I grabbed a standard bcg and put it in with the same result.  I tried c mags, polymer p mags and some colt mags with orange and green followers.  Nothing made a difference.  I then went back to the full auto bcg with the enhanced bolt and it didn't run any better.  So, I pulled the enhanced bolt and put it in a standard carrier and then I got failure to feed and extraction problems while manually trying to cycle it.  I didn't have any other buffers or springs with me but I'm not sure it would have changed the resluts any.  I will pull it down and check the gas port at the barrel next I guess.  If I can't figure it out there will be one for cheap in the EE.

Don't do that - send it back to LMT and tell them it won't run.  They'll fix it.  if that gas tube isn't blocked, I am guessing the hole size is incorrect.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#23]

what are you using for ammo? i ask because my LMT's are my only SBR's that are picky about ammo.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do that - send it back to LMT and tell them it won't run.  They'll fix it.  if that gas tube isn't blocked, I am guessing the hole size is incorrect.

I'll check the port first and see.  I didn't think about sending it back.  If I can't get it, it will go back for sure.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

what are you using for ammo? i ask because my LMT's are my only SBR's that are picky about ammo.

I was using XM193 55gr.  I know I should be using a heavier bullet with a 1:7 twist but I didn't think it would matter for just throwing lead out there.  What do you think?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Now that I think about it, I have read somewhere that the gas port on LMT's is on the smaller side to compensate for a can beacuse of the added back pressure. The smaller port size is designed to work with cans. Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using XM193 55gr.  I know I should be using a heavier bullet with a 1:7 twist but I didn't think it would matter for just throwing lead out there.  What do you think?

I ran about 150 rounds of xm193 through mine and it was problem free

used lancer mags and usgi Okay mags
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran about 150 rounds of xm193 through mine and it was problem free

used lancer mags and usgi Okay mags

193 should be GTG.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Update:

I just ordered a Magpul CTR complete Mil-Spec kit with a ST-T2 buffer from Spike's.  I had a commercial tube on there and wanted to switch to a mil-spec anyhow so I just bit the bullet all at once.  I just tried to go cheap on the stock first time around.  I was trying to keep it under the 1k mark for the wife's sake.  Haven't had a chance to tear into the port issue yet.  Hopefully one of these evenings I will.  Have to help the folks move into their new house this weekend so that's shot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey Staarma...look what UPS brung me.I shot some Winchester Bore Clean  spray down the gas tube and come out the end of the barrel good flow so i can go try it out when my Dad gets out of the hosp and i have some goof off time again....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey Staarma...look what UPS brung me.I shot some Winchester Bore Clean  spray down the gas tube and come out the end of the barrel good flow so i can go try it out when my Dad gets out of the hosp and i have some goof off time again....
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/texjames/008-31.jpg?t=1257370559

Awesome, I hope yours works better than mine.

Here's a pic of mine.    Fairly recent pic but it has a flamin' pig on it now.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]
That gun looks great staarma....Do all the KX3's have the flaming pig logo on them?.I want to get one.Who would you recomend on one?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That gun looks great staarma....Do all the KX3's have the flaming pig logo on them?.I want to get one.Who would you recomend on one?

No, there are some without the pig.  This is where I got mine.  http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_67_116&products_id=1776  I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow of my rifle in it's current state.

Sorry this pic is blurry but you can still see it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top