Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/29/2002 12:32:13 PM EST
Aside from the FALfiles, is there any really good sites dedicated to the inch/metric FALs?

Went to the Roanoke-Salem Gun show and saw a Steyr-AUG preban fro $2900 bucks!!!! and he would'nt take credit card....Waaaaaaaaaaa[>(]

So to make myself feel better i purchased an L1a1 and a couple of mags. should have just ordered a batch from TAPCO as they sell inch pattern mags for 5 bucks.

Whats a good gas setting for surplus .308? how accurate can these rifles be? Any one have a good experiences with these type rifles.

Lib who whished he had $2900
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:55:24 PM EST

Whats a good gas setting for surplus .308?

4 or 5 usually worked for me.

how accurate can these rifles be? Any one have a good experiences with these type rifles

Gernally 2-3 moa, they are not extreamly accurate - but they are good enough for Govt work. I had a Century L1A1 that always treated me right (shot well and was very reliable). Note the Century L1A1s were basterdized and used a metric upper receiver (instead of an inch pattern one) so you had to use metric magazines (inch mags would not work with it).
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:13:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Forest:

Whats a good gas setting for surplus .308?

4 or 5 usually worked for me.

how accurate can these rifles be? Any one have a good experiences with these type rifles

Gernally 2-3 moa, they are not extreamly accurate - but they are good enough for Govt work. I had a Century L1A1 that always treated me right (shot well and was very reliable). Note the Century L1A1s were basterdized and used a metric upper receiver (instead of an inch pattern one) so you had to use metric magazines (inch mags would not work with it).

My L1a1 has a CAI reciever too, but all of my four 'inch' pattern mags fit. They fit tightly, but have had no trouble removing them. When you mean that they did'nt work; do you mean they would not fit or would not function?

Fusil Automatique lib
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:28:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Libertoon:
Went to the Roanoke-Salem Gun show and saw a Steyr-AUG preban fro $2900 bucks!!!! and he would'nt take credit card....Waaaaaaaaaaa[>(]

DUDE. You should have taken a cash advance on your credit card. Any bank will do it for you. You pay a tad more in fees, but you'd have the AUG !!!!!

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:08:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By 223-Buckaroo:

Went to the Roanoke-Salem Gun show and saw a Steyr-AUG preban for $2900 bucks!!!! and he would'nt take credit card....Waaaaaaaaaaa[>(]

DUDE. You should have taken a cash advance on your credit card. Any bank will do it for you. You pay a tad more in fees, but you'd have the AUG !!!!!

From an ATM? i was at the fun show on sunday. Did'nt have those credit "checks" that they send to you with your bill either. I've never used them and would'nt be sure if a private sell would accept them.

The guy will probably be at the next show in Roanoke. Most AUG pre-bans sell for $4500-5000 bucks so its not like i could'nt get my money back out of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:29:02 PM EST
Actually they are better than checks,go instantly and will clear as if you are over your limit the credit card company loves that as then they can move you from your lowest rate to their highest rate as then you become a risk.

But unless you really know augs there has to be a gimmick if he would let you have it for that price.

A thompson M1A1 is my thorn in the side for me,heavy 14 pound piece of shit,but just have to have one!

Someday Bob
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:19:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:
Actually they are better than checks,go instantly and will clear as if you are over your limit the credit card company loves that as then they can move you from your lowest rate to their highest rate as then you become a risk.

But unless you really know augs there has to be a gimmick if he would let you have it for that price.

A thompson M1A1 is my thorn in the side for me,heavy 14 pound piece of shit,but just have to have one!

Someday Bob

It was truly a pre-ban AUG and not a USR post-ban. I took a closer look at the rifle and everything seemed fine except for a little wear on the finish (BFD). I asked another dealer whom i've purchased several firearms in the past and is at every gunshow and he told me the guy was originally asking for more, but seems to having trouble selling it. Makes sense since most people around here are like "what the hells an AUG"? "that gun looks stupid".

ULS
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:25:04 PM EST
Oh yeah, the L1a1 shoots great!!! Zeored the sucker in today using M16 25m zeroing targets. not long enough for a true accuracy test of any kind, but then i only have but soo much backyard. Recoil was less then expected.

Lib gives the CAI L1a1 a thumbs up

The bolt wont hold open on the last shot, but then i read that the inch pattern rifles are'nt known for bolt hold-open. What can i do to modify the weapon for this if possible? i can do it manually. spring tension?
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:42:40 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:56:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2002 4:24:06 PM EST by 5subslr5]

Was this Aug finished in green or black ??
(Makes a difference in price.)

If the gun was black you missed a deal. If the gun was green $2900 is just an "OK" price - nothing special. I sold one last year for $2900 that I had for about 15 months - paid $2700 and sold it for $2900 shipped. Mine was in about 95% condition.
----------------------------------------------

Just took a quick look on Buddy Hinton's board - Sturmgewehr.com and there's a 95% gun with 9 mags for $3100, a NIB for $3750.00, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:24:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By raf:
This might help:www.dragonbbs.com/members/1009/firearms-FALboltholdopen.htm

I'll have to save the link. I dont really have the tools to do this. I wonder if i could just order one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:28:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:

Was this Aug finished in green or black ??
(Makes a difference in price.)

If the gun was black you missed a deal. If the gun was green $2900 is just an "OK" price - nothing special. I sold one last year for $2900 that I had for about 15 months - paid $2700 and sold it for $2900 shipped. Mine was in about 95% condition.
----------------------------------------------

Just took a quick look on Buddy Hinton's board - Sturmgewehr.com and there's a 95% gun with 9 mags for $3100, a NIB for $3750.00, etc., etc.

Twas green. if i bought an AUG off a board i'd have to pay a FFL mark-up to boot and shipping.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:30:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By raf:
This might help:www.dragonbbs.com/members/1009/firearms-FALboltholdopen.htm

I'll have to save the link. I dont really have the tools to do this. I wonder if i could just order one.

Oh yeah, thanks
Top Top