Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 7:18:42 PM EDT
I just wanted to get some AR shooters thoughts on the post-ban L1A1 copies. I dont know much about these rifles but I'm seeing more and more parts kits and may have one put together. Are they better shooters than model 47's?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that most of the guys here will probably talk bad about the post-ban copies.  Especially the guns with Century receivers.

J&G Sales has them for $418.  Plus, you can order an Imbel receiver from them too.  Its right under the L1A1

www.shooterstore.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=111&CATID=600&ObjectGroup_ID=1638
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
More questions go to:www.fnfal.com
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for a FAL I suggest that you get one made by DSA like the stg58. They are more expensive then the L1a1's but they are a lot nicer and worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If you get one of the L1A1 kits that are floating around and add an Entreprise inch receiver you will have a nice rifle.  I prefer the inch FALs over the the metrics in most aspects.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I am going to disagree on the inch pattern rifles. The mags are much harder to find and a lot more expensive. Everyone is selling metric mags and they have been down to $6-$8 lately.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
they're great.  I have a preban L1A1 and a Century gun.  

The Century gun cost me $200.  The dealer that took it in on trade told me it was so rusted together he couldn't even take it down.  I took a chance and bought it sight unseen.  After whacking it apart with a mallet I find there's no rust, just a very poor fit between the receivers.  A little filing work and it all comes apart smoothly.

Buy a cheap Century gun.  Quality has improved lately and even if something isn't perfect it's usually an easy fix.  You won't be disappointed for the money.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I also prefer the inch guns for several reasons.  Fold-down rear sight, sand cuts, built in winter trigger, better controls, better front sight, etc.  Most of those are subjective, and I'm sure others will find just a many valid reasons for prefering metric.  

As far as availability of parts or accessories, they're no problem at all to get in either inch or metric.  As stated before, visit us at www.fnfal.com.

TAPCO sells inch mags at $10.  They aren't the only ones that sell them either.  While Metric mags are even cheaper, a $10 or less pre-ban mag is pretty easy on the wallet.

There's many ways to go. The above link is THE site for FAL stuff.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top