Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/9/2004 5:40:24 AM EST
Is there any down side to those shell carriers that wrap around the stock? Like do they move around too easy? I would think they would be the carrier of choice because they're so cheap. But I guess maybe a side saddle is "cooler" and probably more durable. Plus, I realize everybody is not as cheap as me!!

Does anybody got any opinions on those wrap around the stock shell carriers? I thought I saw someone with a posted picture in the picture thread that had one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:19:11 AM EST
Thing I don't like about the elastic shell holders is they do stretch a bit and come loose after a while.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:55:20 AM EST
"Thing I don't like about the elastic shell holders is they do stretch a bit and come loose after a while. "

Yeah, and I don't like the way they sometimes effect my cheek weld... The plusses are as noted - they're cheap and easy to put on - also, they don't leave any permanent marks on a gun, should one decide to take them off later on... I've used them in the past, but don't any more...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:05:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:06:33 AM EST
Gee, Mike - I guess he didn't save any money on that deal, huh??? Sorry to hear it, bud...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:40:18 AM EST
points taken. I was thinking that might be the case. I got a pouch that holds 12 and attaches to a military web belt. I'll just stick with that for now for my hunting. I'm still trying to figure a good way to have some ready but not loaded. I keep my go to long arm in the closet. With ar's you just pop the loaded clip in and ready to go. I like that because I've got a 4 year old who's very interested in guns and having one loaded just doesn't sit right with me. My dad did it but my son is very curious and strong headed. I discipline him regularily and he's still got a mind of his own (I think that's good though). But you see what I mean. So I'm trying to come up with a speedy way to load one up if I'm going to use it as my go to long arm in my house.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:10:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 3:25:51 PM EST by mike103]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:52:52 AM EST
If this is a home defense gun, in addition to hunting, butt stock shell holders have a serious downside. If you have to shoot from your weak-side shoulder, it's difficult and painful with one of those things fully loaded. Being able to shoot on the weak-side is very important, because there are just as many weak-side corners in your house (and the world) as there are strong-side corners.

At very close ranges (like in your house), you can't use cover effectively if you are working a left-side corner with the gun at your right shoulder and vice-versa. Most of your torso comes out of cover before your gun clears the corner.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:26:54 AM EST
The cheap koplin ones suck. They stretch out and you loose rounds. I have used a blackhawk one for the last two years. I have never had rounds fall out. The inside pocket can hold more rounds. I have never had a problem with searching buildings with it on and I do that often. Of course I have never went to using it left handed...of course in 18 plus years of law enflrcement I have never heard of going week hand to do a search.
Top Top