Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2005 6:46:08 PM EDT
Very interested, anyone willing to do a review of the pros/cons?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:12:06 AM EDT
I will bite.

It takes the sting out of slugs and reduces muzzle climb some what. It lets me practice all day without a sore shoulder. I think it is the best money I have spent on a shotgun.

As for cons, the Mossberg version does not come with a bolt so you have to find one if you have a Cruiser model and never had a full stock on the gun. Some people have trouble getting the swing swivel to work properly with the gun without grinding it down a bit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:25:20 AM EDT
I have the comp-stock on my 870 REM . It's the best spent money yet! Their claims on their website are for real, practice all aftrnoon ,slug or buck , no matter.

I plan on purchasing pistol grip combo this winter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:56:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tiredtoolman:
I have the comp-stock on my 870 REM . It's the best spent money yet! Their claims on their website are for real, practice all aftrnoon ,slug or buck , no matter.

I plan on purchasing pistol grip combo this winter.

TTMan,

I have an 870 also, is the stock actually shorter than other aftermarket stocks? 13.5 or 13inches ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:49:12 AM EDT
Buy it you'll like it......no scratch that buy it you'll love it. Very cost effective.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:22:15 AM EDT
I love mine. It really lets you spend some time with slugs.

On the con side: Watch your thumb or you'll tag your nose with it. I tried to warn my uncle when he shot it and he got tagged. (for those not keeping score at home - shotgun moves inside of a "sleeve" on the butt and the recoil is spread over a longer period of time). Your thumb really needs to be 2 inches from your nose for safety.

The other thing is it feels weird on my cheek. It might be how I hold my head since I'm using ghost rings.

The pros full outweigh the cons because you won't anticipate recoil and your accuracy will improve. Your confidence with the weapon will greatly improve because 1) you'll see how accurate your shotgun is and 2) you'll be able to spend time on the range and see how consistent your accuracy is.

R.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:17:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By freemanesq:

On the con side: Watch your thumb or you'll tag your nose with it. I tried to warn my uncle when he shot it and he got tagged. (for those not keeping score at home - shotgun moves inside of a "sleeve" on the butt and the recoil is spread over a longer period of time). Your thumb really needs to be 2 inches from your nose for safety.

The other thing is it feels weird on my cheek. It might be how I hold my head since I'm using ghost rings.

The pros full outweigh the cons because you won't anticipate recoil and your accuracy will improve. Your confidence with the weapon will greatly improve because 1) you'll see how accurate your shotgun is and 2) you'll be able to spend time on the range and see how consistent your accuracy is.

R.

Any answer to my question above about the length of pull?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:46:54 PM EDT
The LOP is not shorter than standard. I've not measured, but it's around 14". I assume any shorter and everyone would hit their nose.

R.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:16:50 PM EDT

The LOP is not shorter than standard. I've not measured, but it's around 14". I assume any shorter and everyone would hit their nose.

R.

So, the ability to shoulder the weapon is comparable to standard stocks?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:19:07 PM EDT
Chromeluv - I did not notice any difference. My cheekweld must be farther back than Freemanesq's, because I've never tagged my nose , even shooting (remington Nitro Mags 1 7/8 oz.)

Sorry I can't find original stock , must be stored in shed. I was pleased to find out it had a rubber coating, which really improves ones grip. Even when sweating profussly, it's a bonus I didn't know I was getting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:21:31 PM EDT

Chromeluv - I did not notice any difference. My cheekweld must be farther back than Freemanesq's, because I've never tagged my nose , even shooting (remington Nitro Mags 1 7/8 oz.)

Sorry I can't find original stock , must be stored in shed. I was pleased to find out it had a rubber coating, which really improves ones grip. Even when sweating profussly, it's a bonus I didn't know I was getting.

Thanks bud, appreciate it. You wouldn't have happened to try installing the GG&G single point sling adaptor? Or know anyone that has?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:43:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chromeluv:

Thanks bud, appreciate it. You wouldn't have happened to try installing the GG&G single point sling adaptor? Or know anyone that has?

I've got the sling adapter on an 870. It's very easy to install, but it adds about 1/4" to the LOP.

Back on the Compstock. It shoulders like any full size stock. Tired is correct about the grip on the stock. It reminds me of my oversized Hogue stock on my 10/22.

R.

P.S. I never tagged my nose. My uncle did - after I warned him. "I told you to watch out. What do you want me to do?"
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:59:18 PM EDT

I've got the sling adapter on an 870. It's very easy to install, but it adds about 1/4" to the LOP.

Back on the Compstock. It shoulders like any full size stock. Tired is correct about the grip on the stock. It reminds me of my oversized Hogue stock on my 10/22.

R.

P.S. I never tagged my nose. My uncle did - after I warned him. "I told you to watch out. What do you want me to do?"

So the GG&G single point will fit with the standard CompStock?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:45:01 AM EDT
I ordered one of these today for my 590 along with some other stuff. Will report on it after shooting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:32:15 PM EDT

Sorry, I switched shotguns on you there. I have the Compstock on a Mossberg 500 and the GG&G on an 870 with the standard stock. So I can't tell you for sure. However, I can't see a reason it wouldn't fit so long as your mounting bolt is long enough.

R.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:24:32 PM EDT

Sorry, I switched shotguns on you there. I have the Compstock on a Mossberg 500 and the GG&G on an 870 with the standard stock. So I can't tell you for sure. However, I can't see a reason it wouldn't fit so long as your mounting bolt is long enough.

R.

THanks bud, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 6:09:47 PM EDT by Bigger_Hammer]
If you have a question on the Knoxx stocks, talk to CaCrusin here!

he is the knoxx rep and a great guy to go to on any questions.

If you needed a longer stock bolt, they could supply it or tell you what you would need regarding size and thread pitch.

hope this helps!

BIGGER_HAMMER

B.T.W. BEST Dog Gone Money that I E-V-E-R spent on a firearm accessory! (YES it is THAT Good!)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:23:52 AM EDT
Well I got mine on the weekend and installed it and shot it. It works! A bunch of slugs and I barely felt it. My range buddies though did get a little forward on the stock and met their thumb with their face, but me, I can't complain. It works nicely and does a bunch to soften recoil.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:04:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BridgerNY:
Well I got mine on the weekend and installed it and shot it. It works! A bunch of slugs and I barely felt it. My range buddies though did get a little forward on the stock and met their thumb with their face, but me, I can't complain. It works nicely and does a bunch to soften recoil.

We are pleased that you liked it. Good shooting!

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:00:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CaCrusin:

Originally Posted By BridgerNY:

We are pleased that you liked it. Good shooting!

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com

Cacruisin,
I sent you an email through the site asking that you sent the extra long bolt with my copstock so I can attach the GG&G single sling plate. Did that happen?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:02:33 AM EDT

Cacruisin,
I sent you an email through the site asking that you sent the extra long bolt with my copstock so I can attach the GG&G single sling plate. Did that happen?

Sorry, I haven't received the email. We don't stock extra length stock bolts (they would certainly get packaged as regular stock bolts and cause big problems) so I can't help you there. You may find that the supplied bolt will work just fine. The bolt only needs three or four threads to hold the stock correctly. The thread, pitch and length are standard and should be easy to find at your local hardware store. If we decide to sell the sling plates on our web site, we may start stocking the bolts, if they are needed. Let me know if you find it necessary.

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:50:37 PM EDT

R.

How?
The pistol grip doesn't move at all. Are you wrapping your thumb over the reciever?
I'd be more afraid of losing part of my thumb.
The first time I shot mine the part of the stock that holds the reciever actually skinned my thumb
when it recoiled.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:04:27 PM EDT
I have a Compstock on a Mossy 590. It dosent like facial hair one little bit!! It also benifits greatly from dissasembly and the application of grease to the moving parts. I bloodied my nose once with my sidesaddle, shooting prone under a car at a 3-gun match last year.

It is, however, the best money I have ever spent on my shotgun...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:58:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIPSNIPE1:
How?
The pistol grip doesn't move at all. Are you wrapping your thumb over the reciever?
I'd be more afraid of losing part of my thumb.
The first time I shot mine the part of the stock that holds the reciever actually skinned my thumb
when it recoiled.

The CompStock doesn't have the pistol grip, you may be thinking of the COPStock also made by Knoxx.

CD
Top Top