Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/9/2003 8:55:10 PM EDT
I live in a carry at your own risk state [OH]And generaly carry folding knives for defense. Any body have thoughts on whats best for them?
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#1]
i think a pocket knife is the worst possible tool for self defense.  you have to get close to use it.  then jump clear to keep from getting cut.  most bad guys have guns and a knife is not a viable weapon in a gun fight.  it takes a lot of study to cut and not get cut.  if you can I would carry CS spray and there is always the walking cane
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been training with knives, which of course doesn't mean I'm superman ,but just better than most.A walking stick is a good weapon but the knife is better because I carry it [Benchmade AFCK]always and a stick doesn't make a good tool as well as a defensive weapon
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If I carried a folding knife for self protection, it would probably be an Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder

That being said, I agree with 308wood, and would urge you consider something other than a knife for self protection.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I always carry 3 knives for self defence, 1 is a Columbia River M16, carried in my rear right pocket, the other two are Spyderco "Native" knives, one in each fron pocket, held with the clip, and they are modded so that as soon as I draw them they open....  makes them insanely fast to get out and use
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the most underutilized SD tool is the Kubaton.  Check out Selfdefenseforums.com for all you could ever want to know.  For knives it is Bladeforums.com
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
the little stick thing?
give me a break!  

if i had the choice between improvised self defense tools the last one i would choose is a 6" long stick.  if you had the choice of a knife, pepper spray, a roll of quarters in a gym sock, walking cane or a 6" long stick can you seriously tell me you would rather have the stick?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the little stick thing?
give me a break!  

if i had the choice between improvised self defense tools the last one i would choose is a 6" long stick.  if you had the choice of a knife, pepper spray, a roll of quarters in a gym sock, walking cane or a 6" long stick can you seriously tell me you would rather have the stick?  

Good point ...If I had a choice I'd carry my 1911 compact.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
"the little stick thing?
give me a break!"

308, have you ever had someone use a Kubaton on you?  They are the best tool for most people for self defense if they practice haveing it in their hand when in danger areas.  They work well with gross motor skills.  How many times have you used OC?  I have dozens of times and you almost always have blow back which carries its own problems.  And I find many more criminals carrying edged weapons than firearms.  Especialy homeless types.  Clubs are common as well.  To answer the origional question you need a blade of about five inches to reach the deepest targets in the body.  That said my favorite SD knife for the untrained is the Bear Claw by CRKT.

" if you had the choice of a knife, pepper spray, a roll of quarters in a gym sock, walking cane or a 6" long stick can you seriously tell me you would rather have the stick?"

It depends on where I am and the situation.  I can tell you that when off duty outside of my house I usualy have my Kubaton in my hand.  Stop worrying about the dangerous weapons and instead concern yourself with the dangerous man.

If you are standing say between two parked cars and a confrontation starts when a baddie begins to pull something from his waistband and you step back and go right for you handgun you will most likely lose.  As soon as he goes for his waistband advance, trap the hand and smash him as hard as you can with a palm strike to the jaw.  Get a friend and try it both ways.  Let me know what works and what gets you killed.  BTW I know the answer.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I like this one!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top