Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2004 2:35:57 PM EST
Have a Knight's Armament Comp Suppressor for dept MP-5 made "exclusively for Heckler & Koch, Inc." Model(?) H&K KAC NAVY 9mm Serial # XX-XXX-XXX.

Anyone know the proper care and feeding of this unit? Does it require 147 gr sub-sonic rounds? Will normal 115 gold dot HP hurt the unit?

The past SWAT leader retired about a year ago and this unit went missing! YIKES! Well, I went on the hunt and located it in a long lost equipment container and we're looking to put it back into service when needed. Went to Knights Arm site, but its down. And H&K site is "under construction"! Grrrr!

Thanks for any information.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:22:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:59:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 5:00:12 PM EST by easy610]
I'd heard it was a "wet" unit requiring oil or water? I finally got on the Kights site and e-mailed them to find out more.

Thanks for the info.

The 115 golddot was quiet-er than without silencer, but still "cracked". The 147 gr Remington "Sub Sonic" (we had half a box!) was MUCH more quiet.

Will be (well the dept will be) ordering 1K subsonic Monday.

And with the awb dropping on Monday I have two reasons to celebrate!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:04:48 AM EST
I just sent back 4 Mp5-SD's to H&K for service and evaluation. We've used them for 15 years on the PD SWAT. We have no idea how many rounds have been thru them but we always use the same ammo for training and entries. Ammo and rate or fire affects the life span of cans. You can call 1800-795-487 and talk to John Keifer. He deals with law enforcement.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:30:37 AM EST
Of course the SD (which we have but one...cureses!) is a suppressor, not a silencer. Suppressor slows the bullet down AS WELL as quieting the report. VERY NICE!

The silencer (like the KAC unit I'm writing about) only quiets the report, no slow down, so I know I'll need sub sonic rounds to achieve maximum reduction in report. 115 is quiet-er than normal MP-5, but still a crack from the round.

It'd be interesting to find out how your SDs are as far as "wear" when H&K checks them out.

Thanks for the response!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:04:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By easy610:
Of course the SD (which we have but one...cureses!) is a suppressor, not a silencer. Suppressor slows the bullet down AS WELL as quieting the report. VERY NICE!

The silencer (like the KAC unit I'm writing about) only quiets the report, no slow down, so I know I'll need sub sonic rounds to achieve maximum reduction in report. 115 is quiet-er than normal MP-5, but still a crack from the round.

It'd be interesting to find out how your SDs are as far as "wear" when H&K checks them out.

Thanks for the response!

I thought that a suppresossor and silencer were the same thing...
Can you elaborate a little bit more???
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:15:32 PM EST
Please ID this silencer and MP5 for me...
Its an old pic I came across
but cant identify
what model is it
what supressor

www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&imageid=4657944&friendID=866634
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:07:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By 555R:
Please ID this silencer and MP5 for me...
Its an old pic I came across
but cant identify
what model is it
what supressor

www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&imageid=4657944&friendID=866634

That looks like one of those supressors used for Airsoft...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:31:43 PM EST
Now I'm sure it's an Airsoft MP5 and supressor...
Check out the link...
Guarder MP5 Quick detachable silencer
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:56:45 AM EST
easy610,

The word suppressor and the word silencer usually refer to the same thing in firearms speak, however the term suppressor is more accurate.

That said, a suppressor does not touch the bullet (unless improperly designed, incorrectly mounted, or damaged). The gases from the spent round are dispersed by the special geometry of the baffle stack inside the suppressor, which disrupts the pressure wave and cools the gases, essentially making the perceived "sound" sound quieter.

A "silencer" on the other hand usually has wipes or another artificial environment (grease, for example) that will contact the sides of the round as it passes through the guts of the suppressor. These types of suppressors are usually much quieter even without sub-sonic ammunition, however require a shit-load more maintenance by the user. After about ten shots the wipes or grease or whatever is usually spent, and you have basically the same as option one until you repack or replace the environment.

Specifically, your KAC Navy can will work fine wet or dry (about a tablespoon of water, or a mouthful of spit) will give you a little more sound reduction. And as you mentioned, reliable sub-sonic ammo will give you the best results in terms of sound reduction, just remember the bullets aren't going as fast as the supersonic stuff (i.e. about 300 or more FPS slower velocity).

If you need any more info about the can and can't get it from KAC, let me know.

Hope this helps,
Clint
clintl@fnmfg.com
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:48:07 PM EST
Just found your reply....thanks for the info.
Top Top