Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2002 3:26:05 PM EST
I read somewhere {can't remember where} that said the T2 thru T12 markings imprinted along the top of flattop receivers are for the "RIS" system. Just what is that? Anyone have a pic? I've seen the "RAS" that Knight makes so I know what that is. I have the T markings on my post-ban Bushmaster M4
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:14:49 PM EST
You made me get mine out and look. I have their MWS carbine. On the top starting from the front site is T28 on down to T14 in even numbers. On the left is L28 to L14 and on the right R28 down to R14. Taking a big chance I am guessing that the T is for TOP R, is for RIGHT, and L is for LEFT. As for the number I have no idea or for what RIS stands for. I E-Mailed them a question and got an answere back in a day or two. If you have time E-Mail them.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:39:07 PM EST
I believe RIS stand for Rail Interface System.  The numbers are just for standardization.  Say your group has an Aimpoint, back up sight, light and vert handle.  To make the weapons uniform, all aimpoint must be mounted at T15, back up sights at T1, lights on R26 etc.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:53:57 AM EST
Makes sense. Thanks, I was wondering about that too. Mine has T12-T2 on it and I thought I might have the markings inlaid with white paint.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:50:38 PM EST
If you want to see a superior system to the RIS, check out the SIR system offered by ARMS.  It fixes all the failures of the RIS.  It keeps the barrel cool and doesn't suck the heat from the receiver like the RIS.

I've been using one since last year.  I'll never use a RIS again.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:33:53 PM EST

What failures are you talking about? I will check out ARMS and compare.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top