Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 11:23:52 AM EDT
Anybody know if the "magnum" chuck for the RCBS power puller will handle a .338 LM? If not are there any cheap alternatives?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody know if the "magnum" chuck for the RCBS power puller will handle a .338 LM? If not are there any cheap alternatives?

My Midway kinetic puller doesn't work, not so much due to the collet, but the case is just to big to fit into the puller.

I just don't make mistakes when loading the LM and  I don't know of any KP that will work on it, but I guess one could make one out of PVC pipe?

Chris

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I had about 10 50 Beowulf rounds I needed pulled. My RCBS kinetic puller was too small. I took the collet out and slid the shell in  without the collet, put a piece of duct tape over it and gave it a rap. It worked!  Kinda of a pain in the ass but if you just have a couple every now and then.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You said "cheap".  So here's a zero cost method....

Place loaded round in shellholder, no die in press.

Raise press ram until bullet sticks out of top of press. grasp bullet with pliers.

Lower ram, bullet will be in pliers jaw, case will still be in shellholder. Done.

Bullet will have tool marks, but can still be loaded and fired. Just won't be a match bullet any longer.

A much better way is with a collet puller, works like above, but very little marks on bullet.

Once you have the puller, you will need a collet for each caliber.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a cheap @$$ and I made my puller. I used 3/4 PVC pipe plugged one and the regular shellhold fits perfect. I put an elbow on top of that and a longer piece of PVC. For about $2.00 you have an easily adaptable impact puller. It has never failed for me and its easy and CHEAP to fix. I had the other impact puller but they always break.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am a cheap @$$ and I made my puller. I used 3/4 PVC pipe plugged one and the regular shellhold fits perfect. I put an elbow on top of that and a longer piece of PVC. For about $2.00 you have an easily adaptable impact puller. It has never failed for me and its easy and CHEAP to fix. I had the other impact puller but they always break.

This is what I'm talking about...DIY!

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this for reference, would you?

It might help us to visualize your concept.  My guess was just to use straight pipe, sealed with an end cap and then drill a slighly under-sized hole in the other screw on, end cap and whack it that way, but the shell holder method seems a tad more elegant.

Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't ever posted a picture but one look and its an obvious why didn't I think about it. If I get chance I will see about a picture. The shellholder just really fit perfectly. I put the cartridge in the shelholder and then drop it in, put the elbow/handle on and swing away, really works good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe this is what coldzero is talking about.  If/when my current puller breaks, I will have to give this a try.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah that's basically it. I just checked its actually just 1/2 in sch 40. really about $2.00 worth of supplies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top