Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 6:31:30 PM EDT
Are the internal parts the same on a Kimber 1911 as they are in a springfield or Colt 1911? When looking at the Wilson Combat website for parts they mention Kimber not even once for parts that are compatable. I am looking at a Kimber Eclipse custom II and a Springfield TRP to be the next toy. Has anyone have any opinions on these?

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe Kimber uses a combination of their parts and Chip McCormick.

Here is a link where I compare the Springfield Trophy Match to the Kimber Match II.

www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17489

Not exactly what you were looking for but something I found interesting.

I was just in the store and finally had the chance to see these two side by side.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are the internal parts the same on a Kimber 1911 as they are in a springfield or Colt 1911? When looking at the Wilson Combat website for parts they mention Kimber not even once for parts that are compatable. I am looking at a Kimber Eclipse custom II and a Springfield TRP to be the next toy. Has anyone have any opinions on these?

Wilson uses frames made by Kimber to make their guns. I wrote them an e-mail & asked them why i should buy one of theirs instead of a Kimber if the frames are the same? They answered kinda snooty about how much better they worked their guns versus Kimber, etc. etc. Might be a Ford vs Chevy thing there.

Kimber indeed uses all 1911 parts that are interchangeable with a bit of fitting just like any other 1911.

SA uses a two-piece barrel which is never as accurate as a one-piece. I had a Wilson NM barrel put in my SA, maybe the best of both worlds?  >gg<
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well...I have a Colt, a Springfield and a Kimber....I like the Kimber the best.  I'm sure I'd like a Wilson, if I had an extra 2500 around here someplace.  I bet I like my Kimber better after it comes back from Nowlins...hehehe
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Kimber because;

1.  Not blocky like the Springfield, feels better and more secure in the hand.

2.  Outstanding customer support.

3.  IMHO much better quality.

4.  Last but not least... MADE IN THE USA.

Deuce01
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top