Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 4:40:50 PM EDT
I currently own a Stainless Custom Classic and love it.  I have a friend that is selling his Custom CDP, but I have a few questions.  I am somewhat leery of the Aluminum frame.  Any idea how these will hold up compared to the stainless steel?  Shooting impressions?--I haven't shot his yet...

Thanks,

Bryan
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously the Al will not last as long as steel, but everything I've heard from places like this says that they are lasting well.

I plan to buy one as a carry gun but will continue to use my steel framed Kimber Classic for the majority of practice since it will hold up much better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Bryan, I wouldn't worry too much about the aluminum frame in general, just take a close look at the contact points to make sure that that particular pistol is well fitted and is showing even wear marks. I have shot the cr*p out of a couple of aluminum Kimbers with no problems or excessive frame wear whatsoever. Proper lubrication on the frame rails will keep the pistol running for years. All that aside, there is nothing as nice as the smoothness of a broken in steel on steel action!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuatos - The advise that its2234me gave you is good advise in terms of longevity in relation to lubrication and slide to frame wear. However, it is not the main concern when talking about aluminum framed 1911s. A properly fitted and lubricated Government Model (aluminum or steel frame) will most assuredly wear evenly over time but the main wear point for an aluminum frame GM is the slide stop pin hole. The slide stop takes a tremendous beating (in relation to other parts on a GM) and because of that constant beating aluminum framed guns can develop cracks on either side of the slide stop pin hole where as steel framed guns would not (given the same number of rounds). This however isn't the big deal it sounds like. Earlier aluminum framed 1911s, like Colt's early Commanders, didn't utilize the types of metal used today to build aluminum-framed guns. Metallurgy has come along way and although aluminum framed GMs will not have the longevity of a steel framed gun, with proper care, they will last quite a while. The main concern is not lubrication it's recoil spring replacement. You have to do this at consistent intervals, which will depend on the load shot, barrel length, etc. I have personally seen aluminum framed Kimbers that had in excess of 10,000 rounds through them but have also seen guns that cracked after 4000 rounds. Like anything else proper maintenance will ensure a gun you can enjoy for years to come.    
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a Kimber pro elite and a cdp. The pro elite has almost 6000 rounds through it. It has very little wear. I would not let the al. frame bother you. Kimber states that they are good for 20,000+. Just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top