Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2013 8:30:33 PM EDT
After hearing many good things about Kifaru, I decided to pull the trigger on one of their packs. While ordering this pack one thing I noticed immediately that separates Kifaru from other manufacturers: their packs are made per order. They're not mass produced on an assembly line, which is then whole sold to a dealer or vendor, and is then sold to the public. They have no dealers, and their packs are distributed factory direct which means each order has a wait time depending on the item.

I received this pack a couple of days ago, and took out today to get an in depth look at the pack. It is the Kifaru E&E, a fan favorite among EDC and backpackers alike. This is the second generation E&E.

Product Specs:
A dedicated E&E pack, the Kifaru E&E Back Pouch works decidedly well as either:
•A backpack
•Pouch on any PALS equipped vest or ruck.
•Can clip away in a heartbeat
•Dock & Lock Attachment System: Using 4 female split lock buckles (included)
•Low profile design for all tasks - work, travel, or just knocking around
•Interior: Four common loops on each side for lightweight, inexpensive pocket modularity
•Access: Panel
•1,000d Cordura
•1,000c.i./16.38 liters
•1 lb., 5 oz./.59kg.

Looking at the pictures, you can tell that it is not a large pack by any means. It is called E&E for that very reason (Escape and Evade), as the capacity limits the user to carry only the essential items necessary for survival. While the pack is modular as it can be used both as a sustainment pack on armor or larger packs, it can also be used as a standalone backpack. With that said, it is primarily a large pocket first, and a pack second.

The pack was initially developed for hard use, but the size made it a favorite for daypack use.

The front of the pack is covered in molle webbing for attachments such as items or pouches. A patch of loop allow nametapes and patches customization:

The side of the pack feature two compression straps and additional molle for attachments such as a flashlight pouch. The compression straps face towards the users back, as opposed to traditional compression:

The back panel has a sleeve which can house a bladder, or stow away for the shoulder straps when being used as a sustainment pouch. The panel itself is unpadded, and is made of the same 1000D material as the rest of the pack. The material is stiff and heavy duty.

The straps are simple nylon straps that can disconnect and stowed away. They can be disconnected from the bottom by sliding the metal tab through the slider at an angle. The straps also have a minimal adjustment sternum strap. Padded and contoured X-Ray straps are available as an upgrade:

The bottom of the pack have no additional attachment points. The water grommets can be installed as an upgrade:

The zippers are YKK quality #8 coil zippers with paracord pull tabs:

The compression straps must be undone to access the pack's contents. The items in this pack are only to show a reference in terms of size. The pack opens up as a panel loader:

The E&E pack comes with a pouch that can be disconnected from the pack. Additional attachment points inside the pack allow attachment of other Kifaru pouches:

While the pack does not have a lot of features, customization or organization, it wasn't specifically designed to have them either. In fact, the simplicity in the pack's design as well as the small capacity is what allowed the pack to bridge the shortcomings.

The pack is very well made with quality materials. For such a small pack, it does carry a hefty price tag (as well as all other Kifaru products), but being made here in the USA is always a plus. Thanks Kim, for the exceptional work on this pack.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks for the write up, i have always been interested in their stuff
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The E&E is a great little pack.  I miss mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have always wanted one of those packs. Kifaru makes top notch stuff. I have their Gen1 Navigator from from they clearanced them out, and it is b far my favorite pack.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive used a E&E for about 10 years. I use that little fucker for everything, its super handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top