Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 1:12:13 PM EDT
Does anyone own the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 rifle?  I'm thinking of picking one up (Glock .40 cal mag compatible model.)  I've got a Glock 22 that I could share mags with.  What would the .40 cal ballistics be like out of a 16" barrel?  Would the 9mm be a better choice because of cheaper ammo or would I really get better ballistics with the .40?  Any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 9mm Glock version and love it.  It is brute simple, more accurate than I expected, and hasn't had a failure yet in roughly 500-800 rounds.

All the Keltecs are pretty rough.  Don't expect a work of art, but all the ones I have tried have been reliable(though I have heard others complain).  The accuracy of the sub2K suprised me especially because of how rough the bore was, but I was hitting 1.5" groups at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the 9MM version for Christmas, I love the gun but believe it or not I have not shot it yet, I vow to do so before the end of Summer!! I also want one of the new Beretta carbines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Got the 9mm with KelTec's spare mag holder.  I keep two hicap mags (19) on the rifle.  Love it!

What knocked my socks off was the accuracy of that lil carbine.

Out of the box at 100 yards - my first shot knocked over a soda can ... standing up shooting from the shoulder.  I soon found out most if not all my shots are right on target with me more of a crutch than the rifle.

I'm amazed at the Sub 2000.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about picking up a 9mm one to use for a backpacking/hiking/canoeing/camping carbine.
I really like the interchangeability of the mags with the mags of a sidearm.

Is the trigger pull on the SUB 2000 as bad as on my P11?

The trigger pull isn't great, but it is better than the P11.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got on of these on my "to get "list , I have decided on 9mm , but am having a hard time deciding on a mag system , I would like to use Glock mags but the price of Hi-caps is insane and I do not own a Glock and do not have a stockpile lying around.

What system do you guys use ? Beretta ? S & W ? How do they work ?

t
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
i've got one, very nice little gun
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies.  Has anyone chronoed thier sub 2k?  I'm really looking for velocity info on both the 9mm vs the .40 S&W.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I am told the 9mm behaves more like a 357 from the Sub 2000.  Please no one call me on my source cause I can't remember where I heard it.

But I'm not sure how much I really care either.  Cause my Sub2000 shoots incredible.

Comparing apples to oranges, I'm sure the 40 would behave much differently as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got the Sub-2000 in 9mm set up for S&W mags.  Like the other posters, it has proven to be a fantastic weapon.

Why S&W mags?  Dunno.  I shoot Walthers and Para-Ordnance so mag compatability was a non issue.  S&W hicaps seem to be about the cheapest on the market.  I picked up 4 generic 30 rounders and to my amazement they are working fine.  Olympic 124 gr. would jam every three rounds.  Wolf feeds just fine.  I love it when a weapon decides to shoot the cheapest crap the best.

Anyway, my hats off to Kel-Tec for an interesting design.  In a stale shooting world dominated by the flavor of the month 1911, AR-15's with new colored furniture and super/short magnum versions of cartridges that exactly replicate the performance of other cartridges that have been around for 100 years, it is nice to see a tool that represents a fresh approach.  I just can't imagine the engineers at Colt looking at an AR or a 1911 and saying "Hmmm....do ya think we can get it to fold in half?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top