Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/26/2003 1:12:13 PM EDT
Does anyone own the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 rifle? I'm thinking of picking one up (Glock .40 cal mag compatible model.) I've got a Glock 22 that I could share mags with. What would the .40 cal ballistics be like out of a 16" barrel? Would the 9mm be a better choice because of cheaper ammo or would I really get better ballistics with the .40? Any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:33:18 PM EDT
I have the 9mm Glock version and love it. It is brute simple, more accurate than I expected, and hasn't had a failure yet in roughly 500-800 rounds.

All the Keltecs are pretty rough. Don't expect a work of art, but all the ones I have tried have been reliable(though I have heard others complain). The accuracy of the sub2K suprised me especially because of how rough the bore was, but I was hitting 1.5" groups at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:45:20 AM EDT
I got the 9MM version for Christmas, I love the gun but believe it or not I have not shot it yet, I vow to do so before the end of Summer!! I also want one of the new Beretta carbines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:03:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:23:04 AM EDT
Got the 9mm with KelTec's spare mag holder. I keep two hicap mags (19) on the rifle. Love it!

What knocked my socks off was the accuracy of that lil carbine.

Out of the box at 100 yards - my first shot knocked over a soda can ... standing up shooting from the shoulder. I soon found out most if not all my shots are right on target with me more of a crutch than the rifle.

I'm amazed at the Sub 2000.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:48:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TREETOP:
I've been thinking about picking up a 9mm one to use for a backpacking/hiking/canoeing/camping carbine.
I really like the interchangeability of the mags with the mags of a sidearm.

Is the trigger pull on the SUB 2000 as bad as on my P11?

The trigger pull isn't great, but it is better than the P11.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:17:34 AM EDT
I've got on of these on my "to get "list , I have decided on 9mm , but am having a hard time deciding on a mag system , I would like to use Glock mags but the price of Hi-caps is insane and I do not own a Glock and do not have a stockpile lying around.

What system do you guys use ? Beretta ? S & W ? How do they work ?

t
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:18:45 PM EDT
i've got one, very nice little gun
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:03:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone chronoed thier sub 2k? I'm really looking for velocity info on both the 9mm vs the .40 S&W.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:06:56 PM EDT
I am told the 9mm behaves more like a 357 from the Sub 2000. Please no one call me on my source cause I can't remember where I heard it.

But I'm not sure how much I really care either. Cause my Sub2000 shoots incredible.

Comparing apples to oranges, I'm sure the 40 would behave much differently as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:31:05 AM EDT
I just got the Sub-2000 in 9mm set up for S&W mags. Like the other posters, it has proven to be a fantastic weapon.

Why S&W mags? Dunno. I shoot Walthers and Para-Ordnance so mag compatability was a non issue. S&W hicaps seem to be about the cheapest on the market. I picked up 4 generic 30 rounders and to my amazement they are working fine. Olympic 124 gr. would jam every three rounds. Wolf feeds just fine. I love it when a weapon decides to shoot the cheapest crap the best.

Anyway, my hats off to Kel-Tec for an interesting design. In a stale shooting world dominated by the flavor of the month 1911, AR-15's with new colored furniture and super/short magnum versions of cartridges that exactly replicate the performance of other cartridges that have been around for 100 years, it is nice to see a tool that represents a fresh approach. I just can't imagine the engineers at Colt looking at an AR or a 1911 and saying "Hmmm....do ya think we can get it to fold in half?"
Top Top