Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 5:11:27 PM EDT
What do you all think of the Kel-Tec carbines? I've been looking at the SU-16 and Sub-2000 as emergency/camp guns.  I realize they are quite different and I'm leaning toward the sub-2000 because of price.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you able to find them for?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
None locally but un GunBroker the Sub-2000 is 200 Ballpark and 500 for the SU-16
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well they are by no means copies of the AR or AK but they are somewhat similar in design. They are plenty accurate and I have heard great things about reliability. They also have some little bells and whistles on them. Most people suggest the SU-16ca and I agree. It has the 2 10rd mag (or I think it hold on 20rd mag) holder on the buttstock and the handguard can become a bipod. It also thankfully takes cheap AR mags. If you want it to be a little more tacticool they sell a railed handguard too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess my main concern is that i have guns to shoot every day and a Kel-Tec would be almost only for emergencies so if i could get away with buying only the Sub-2000 would it be usefull at all in a survival situation or is it to dinky?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guess my main concern is that i have guns to shoot every day and a Kel-Tec would be almost only for emergencies so if i could get away with buying only the Sub-2000 would it be usefull at all in a survival situation or is it to dinky?

Well it is a 9mm. Its basically a more accurate pistol that shoots 9mms at a higher velocity. It couls take down larger varmints and of course a man but it would take some to bring down a large animal in an emergency. Its not too dinky really. Id rather have a .223 rifle than a 9mm carbine in a survival situation but they would either work. I would be confident with either gun. Just if a bear or something like that acosts you and you have the sub2k, shoot for the head for sure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]
it comes in .40 as well so maybe i will go with that. thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
they make the model in .40 also. Ive handled a friends and the things are tiny by far the smallest non SBR Ive ever seen. It did feel pretty comfortable to me however. The small size could make them very handy. The fact that they also use common hi cap mags is also nice
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
For all around general purpose recreational shooting/plinking combined with the novel & somewhat more practical fold in half design, the Sub2k is a nice deal. The 40S&W flavor adds some more firepower if you are not satisfied with the 9mm. Either way, it is hard to go wrong with these little rugged carbines. They are not very pretty, but they are a simple and rugged design that eats up everything from Wolf to Hydrashock without a complaint.  I like mine for camping and hiking because it is really quite concealable in even a small satchel bag or under a seat. You are most likely not going to win any rifle matches with the Sub2k, but then its not made for that. If you are considering the SU-16, maybe consider getting an Oly Arms Plinker Plus: proven design with a lighter price tag than other AR-carbines.  just my .02
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I got an SU-16A over a year ago.  Fun little rifle.  It always digests everything I feed it.  Sprays lke a Mini-14 when it gets hot, but the newer models with the shorter heavier barrels are supposed to be better.  Reasonable accuracy when slow fires.  I broke the front site, they sent me a new one for free.  Arrived in 3 days.  Nice people to work with.  You can store 1 twenty or 1 thirty round mag or the two 10 rounders that come with the rifle it it's stock.  The Kel-Tec .223 mags will not work in an AR, but  AR mags will work in a Kel-Tec.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my Sub-2000

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I love my Sub-2000

www.MetalSchnitzel.com/images/GunStuff/S2K-Kit3.jpg

Secret...A-GENT MAN!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my SU16B because I worked with M16A2's all day and I got tired of drowning in them.

I know, herasy on ARF.COM, but it was true, eventually you can get tired of anything.

As soon as my wife got ahold of it she immediately adopted it.

I haven't had to work on it, which is more than I can say for the M16's, but my wife is a lot easier on the Kel-Tec than the privates are on issue weapons.

I like it, and I'd take it for the cartridge for survival if you're rural.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top