Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 11:51:36 AM EDT
I was wondering what others do to keep the insides of their reloading dies clean.

I had some relatively new Lee dies that got some rust/corrosion inside the decapping/resizing die.  I might as well throw them out.  Stuck case issues.  No amount of cleaning will now get rid of the crap inside (at least without more work than I'm interested in).

Once one is done reloading for a bit, would it be a good idea to Q-tip some WD-40, or oil, or case lube, or??? into the inside of the die?  Just to keep it clean and free from future issues?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Lee dies. First when I get my dies I polish the full lenght sizing with Flitz polish using a bore mop ard a drill motor. Then I polish the depriming pin using a drill motor, it makes it easier to keep them clean. After about 250 cases I take the pin out, put a rage under the die and use WD40 to spray the inside and use a Q tip to swab it out and then clean the pin. I use a single stroke press. Others will have some other ways of doing it, so pick it best way you like to do it. If it's better than my way I might give it a try. That's IMHO.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Rust has not been a problem on my Dillon dies but I will get a build up in the bullet seat dies due to the wax from lead bullets.  I just use a bore snake in the

caliber I am loading and that takes care of it.  I check the decap/sizing die occasionally but it normally is not a problem
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually take mine apart after about 1K and clean with rubbing alcohol (Dillon Dies) I have had them for about 2 yrs and no rust
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If your dies are rusting your not using them enough !!. The best idea mentioned is polishing with Flitz. I lightly coat the outside of mine with CLP and inside of full length sizer die.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If your dies are rusting your not using them enough !!. The best idea mentioned is polishing with Flitz. I lightly coat the outside of mine with CLP and inside of full length sizer die.

Yeah...........They sat for almost a year with no use.  I'm sure that's what happened.  I guess I should try to rehab them with the Flitz treatment before abandonment.

Thanks for the great ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top