Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2010 8:58:14 PM EDT
I have this old SMLE NO 1. MKIII that someone sporterized and I picked up from a pawn shop last year.

Needless to say, I am less than pleased with the thing.

Not with the gun itself, its in great condition for being a 1917 gun, very sharp bore.

The ammo sucks. I don't know what other people's successes have been with the .303 British, but mine have been so bad as to put me off the gun entirely. Most of the surplus I've gotten hangfires and the few hunting rounds that I have tired (Remignton and Privi) have failed to group reasonably well at all.

What does ARFCOM think?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When I read "sporterized" I voted for sell it .

It doesn't sound like you would miss it, either.

I really wouldn't, it was supposed to be a budget, beginner deer rifle. I was not expecting he ammo situation to escalate to the point that its in.

I really want something that is going to hit a deer DRT.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I read "sporterized" I voted for sell it .

It doesn't sound like you would miss it, either.

I really wouldn't, it was supposed to be a budget, beginner deer rifle. I was not expecting he ammo situation to escalate to the point that its in.

I really want something that is going to hit a deer DRT.

A used Savage in .30-06 should be affordable enough for a deer gun
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I need to see pics to make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell...someone may be interested in restoring it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I would eject it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Plenty of inexpensive 30-06 deer guns in the pawn shops and at gun shows. Ditch the mutilated war horse and get a dedicated Bambi killer
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Plenty of inexpensive 30-06 deer guns in the pawn shops and at gun shows. Ditch the mutilated war horse and get a dedicated Bambi killer

What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at Savage's and the new Mossberg 100 ATR which has had good reviews. I'm in a similar spot where I'd like a deer/elk gun without breaking the bank. My main interest is in mil type semi's so a bolt gun will come out twice a year to sight in and then to hunt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Well here she is:

Dates on this particular part of the rifle

Differing dates?

Probably the worst looking part of the rifle

This is the scope mount

And here is the part where the drilling and taping was done

Over all, I don't think its an ugly rifle, I couldn't get the bore to come out in a shot with my little "point-and-click" camera. From the few shots that I could get to go off, she functions well, I'm just tired of trying to find good ammo.

ETA: Spelling
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Sell/trade it. Get another rifle or ammo for guns you already have.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Can I change my vote to Sell It.  Didn't get to see the terrible stock.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
After seeing the pics...sell or trade it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Foogaly get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Sell it and get something that you would enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]
So no one would try to make a nice sporter out of this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#17]
If you don't like the gun, regardless of reason then get rid of it. Sell it or trade it
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I would probably keep the gun myself, as I like taking game with my milsurp arms when I can. The accuracy woes can possibly be linked to the (lack of) bedding of the forearm and pressure from the torque of the forearm screw. many single-shot platform guns which have an independently attached forearm can be plagued also by such things. As with all foreign milsurp arms and use of commercial ammo, slugging the bore can help too by determining that you are shooting the proper diametre projectile that best suits your rifle.

as for this:
Differing dates?

The FTR stamping with date signifies "Factory Thorough Repair" and the date when it was completed. The flaking black paint over parkerizing would seem to point to rearsenaling in India.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Can i have your surplus 303 ammo?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can i have your surplus 303 ammo?

What surplus ammo?

I can't find any that doesn't hang fire.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Sporterized... I always scratch my head at stuff like this. I mean, why?!  Why would someone take a perfectly good looking rifle and butcher it to look like a fudd rifle?

You could sell it, but what would you get for it? Would it even be worth it?

I vote to for you to keep it, whenever you need a good laugh, pull it out of the safe.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sporterized... I always scratch my head at stuff like this. I mean, why?!  Why would someone take a perfectly good looking rifle and butcher it to look like a fudd rifle?

You could sell it, but what would you get for it? Would it even be worth it?

I vote to for you to keep it, whenever you need a good laugh, pull it out of the safe.

It really isn't destroyed, just drilled and tapped, the stock cut, and some minor metal removed that can be easily replaced.

All of the iron sights are still in place

I have it posted on several online sell sites, and if it doesn't move, I'll take it to a local pawn shop and trade it for something.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Since the gun has no value anyways, I would try to find an original stock in really good condition, refinish parts that look rough, and just make yourself a really nice Enfield.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't sell it. Selling guns that suck is a pain in the ass and will make you feel stupid for having it because no one will want it, or they'll offer something like $25 for it.

Don't trade it. No one will trade you a good gun for it. You get a piece of shit for a piece of shit.

Don't keep it. You will just keep kicking yourself for having it. You will never shoot it. It will take up space in your safe where other good quality guns should go.

My recommendation:

Completely disassemble the gun and use the parts as practice pieces for various do-it-yourself tasks, like home bluing, parkerizing, rust removal, refinishing, rechambering, machining and even art installations.

It's good for absolutely nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I just reread my above post, and I'm surprised at how mean it sounds.

Believe me, I didn't intend to sound mean.

I guess I just get annoyed with bubbafied guns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just reread my above post, and I'm surprised at how mean it sounds.

Believe me, I didn't intend to sound mean.

I guess I just get annoyed with bubbafied guns.

It wasn't mean, just being realistic.

I just got off the pone with the pawnshop owner, he said that if I were to trade it in toward something else, I would get at least $100, possibly more depending on what I interested in getting
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#27]
This gun is determined to drive me crazy.

the pawn shop I went to on Sat. told me that "it wasn't worth trading in."

I'm going to go back tomorrow and talk with the owner, a gentleman that I know took the damn thing and has taken worse in past, I should be able to get that $100+ in credit.

If he uphold what his employee said yesterday, then I'll look into, somehow, converting it into .45-70; even though they don't make the conversion kit anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top