Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/2/2004 8:58:08 AM EDT
Here's the link for the 82A1CAL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
its great that he is making an effort to help the pesants of california.

we need more like him.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Great marketing idea, but from the prespective of the buyer, it really sucks.  It costs the same as an unmodified M82A1,  so the trouble with the CAL version is that it depreciates significantly the moment you DROS it.  California buyers, once you own it,  it cannot be sold again inside CA, which is the only state where it might have a demand.  If you want to sell it, it has to go out-of-state and going out-of-state, you will be competing with normal, unmodified M82A1s in the marketplace.  Given the choice, which would you rather have?  Of course, the unmodified version.   So you're going to have to price your CAL version down significantly, even if it is unfired.  No thanks.  If I pay $7k for a firearm, I want it to hold it's value somewhat.  The CAL will not.  Buyer beware.

Depending on what happenes with the AB50 regulations that should be published in the next few weeks, I'm looking at a loophole through which an unmodified M82A1can come into the state.  We'll have to see...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
all you have to do is take off the hinge in the front and it becomes a normal M82A1.

If you ever move out of state you can easily do this. Its not as big a loss as it could be.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one on the way should have it at the end of the month have not told wife price yet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi D-duck,

How sure are you that "all you have to do is take off the hinge in the front and it becomes a normal M82A1"?  I had assumed that they had to mill off part of the front of the mag well.  I sure wish there was a sample to look at.  I would like to be able to convert it back to a "normal" M82A1 after I move out to a free state.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hi D-duck,

How sure are you that "all you have to do is take off the hinge in the front and it becomes a normal M82A1"?  I had assumed that they had to mill off part of the front of the mag well.  I sure wish there was a sample to look at.  I would like to be able to convert it back to a "normal" M82A1 after I move out to a free state.

Thanks!

I should have mine by the end of the month I will check it out when it gets to the FFL.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the CAL is completely convertable back to standard config, however it will require some metal work that most of us cannot do and those who can will charge you a lot.  The standard M82 holds its magazine much like an M-14:  It holds the magazine in both the front and back.  For the CAL version, the mag well has been milled away at the front to acommodate the hinge arm of the magazine. The front magazine load bearing point is now gone, it has been moved back to the hinge just behind the bipod mounting bracket.  Modifying it back to standard M82A1 config would require extensive welding and milling in order to put the front magazine mount back where it should be to handle a detachable magazine.  This is going to be very expensive.  It will also require refinishing of the entire receiver.  Remember, the CAL version was approved by CA DOJ.  It cannot have ability to accept a detachable magazine, so there is no mechanical provision to accept one.  You'd have to rebuild that ability.

You'll looking at $500-$750 just to get it back to M82A1 config, money that you will not get back from a sale.  No one will pay M82A1 prices, even used, for a modified CAL.  If you love the gun, good on ya.  But if its resaleable value has any impact on your decision, I'd think twice about it.  It'll cost you dearly.

There's also the longevity of the CAL version.  With that swing-down magazine, reloads are going to prove awkward and I'll put money on someone dropping the gun during this awkward and vulnerable reload period.  When 30 pounds of steels lands squarely on the magazine, it will destroy it.  Give it a year or two for this to happen, long enough for Barrett to get very busy with other things and forget about the "favor" they did for Californians, then call Barrett looking for that replacement part.  They'll either not have it (after all there were only 100 made) or they will charge you a fortune to repair yours.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn $135.00 for a 10 round magazine
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Your forgetting something, he's not charging anything extra. Think of all the extra machining and trouble they had to do to build this to make it Kali compliant.

Try finding a dealer that will ship/receive a standard M82 here w/o a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If you look at the drawing on barrett's site, you can see the arm that holds the mag to the rifle has a notch cut out to clear the front of the mag well.

Im sure barrett used the simplest design they could think of to cut down on production time and costs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the answers.  I don't think that it's likely that there are any FFL's willing to transfer a standard M82A1 without pistol grip.  If anyone know of any, I'd be interested.  It looks like the only option for us Kalifornia prisoners is the M82A1CAL.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Try finding a dealer that will ship/receive a standard M82 here w/o a pistol grip.

I have several FFLs ready to do this if the regs support it.

All I'm saying with the CAL version is that it you should look hard at it before you jump.  The CAL version is going to be trouble now and down the road.  They will he hard to maintain, buying a new magazine assembly for it will prove difficult and get worse with time.  And when it comes time to sell, you will  find no takers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The only specialized part in the M82CAL is the hinged magazine. Everything else is just as on a M82a1

And that appears to be just a normal magazine welded to an arm.

Yes the magazine inserts like a M14 but instead of something going into the magazine to hold it in the magazine has a lip to slide into the receiver. Remove that lip and it will swing right in and the mag catch will hold the rear.

The design is less then desirable for loading but its the simplest desgin that can be thought of and thus the fastest/easiest to produce in small numbers and to keep the cost down.

The FAL is also easily converted to accept a magazine or with the simple install of a PG but it is still legal to own in this commie state.

As found on another board,

In Barrett's own words the gun "IS an M82A1, with one extra part. A hinge we tac-welded on to get it past the grabbers..."
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top