Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/15/2006 11:10:33 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good quality 5" - 6" fixed blade knife with a parially serrated edge. I need this for when I'm hiking around my property 'cause there are lots of Moose (Meese? ) and and an occasion Cougar.

I always carry my 1911 but would like to have a fixed blade knife as well.

Is KA-BAR any good? Any other recommendations for fixed blades for under $100?

Thanks......
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The Ka-Bar has served in front line military use since early WWII.  
They're PLENTY strong, are made of good steel, are cheap enough that if you lose it it can be easily replaced, and the design is excellent for field use.

There are so many brands and styles of knives available, choosing one is simply a matter of picking out what you like.

You can easily do WORSE than the Ka-Bar.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is still going strong. I bent it about 15 degrees using it as a pry bar once. Bent it back and you can't tell. It still takes an edge &  handles camp chores fine. I have no doubt it would still be GTG in a fight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a full-size black Ka-Bar a little while back.  I didn't care for it very much.  It didn't quite feel balanced.  That could be because of the 7" blde, but still.  I also found that the 1095 carbon steel blade didn't hold an edge all that well.  Maybe the shorter version would have been better?  Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]
a KA BAR is all you really need
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
So you are going to kill the cougars and meeses with the ka-bar, or use them to cut up the cougars and meeses after you kill them with your 1911? A Ka-bar would not be my first choice for field dressing a dead meese, but I am sure it has been done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree w/ the people that said you can do much worse, but w/ in that $100 range their is a huge variety of knives to choose from check out SOG knives andCold Steel

but as mentioned earlier its all personal preference. and a good place to find the Cold Steel, SOG, and Ka Bar is New Graham
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You could do a lot worse.
Just don't be afraid to beat it up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So you are going to kill the cougars and meeses with the ka-bar, or use them to cut up the cougars and meeses after you kill them with your 1911? A Ka-bar would not be my first choice for field dressing a dead meese, but I am sure it has been done.

Nah... this is for self defense in case a moose tries to hump me (they have very bad eye-sight).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
They are ok and I have carried many of them, I opted for a Cold Steel myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I also found that the 1095 carbon steel blade didn't hold an edge all that well.

1095 is a spring steel, it is used in making road grader blades etc, this alloy is really tough stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nah... this is for self defense in case a moose tries to hump me (they have very bad eye-sight).

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I couldn't resist.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top