Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/24/2008 2:33:31 PM EST
Here is my stock. I used hot water, simple green, a plastic scrub brush and carbeurator cleaner. Normally i use the dishwaher method but this stock does not fit. I have little gold spots appearing on the stock, what is this and will it affect my stain (minwax) and the dull stain polycrylic I will use (one coat)?

Also, what will be the best color for my lightly figured walnut stock? Natural or colonial maple? I am leaning towards the natural.

I have done a light sanding with 150 grit, and am done sanding, as I do not want to take off too much wood.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:57:02 AM EST
The little spots appearing on your stock are oils in the wood coming to the surface after you have taken off the original finish. Before doing this next step you should really think about heat treating the stock to pull out any cosmo left in the wood, doing what you have finished so far is only taking the surface cosmo out and not what is in the wood itself. If you don't get the cosmo out of the wood and then continue on your stock will have a waxy feel to it do to the cosmo under the stain etc....

Easy fix, heat treat, then since you have taken the finish off already down to the bare wood just get a rag soaked in lacquer thinner and rub down the stock with it. After that the oil spots will disappear and you can begin staining. Same thing happened to the FR8 stock I just finished.

As far as the stain color.... I think that is up to you. We don't have pics to see what the original finish looked like, so comparing an exact color is going to be hard. I would just use your best judgment on matching the color as best as possible. You can always mix multiple stains together to achieve different colors.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:29:33 AM EST
I used a wood bleach product on mine. That seemed to really help. You might search on that. I think I got it because I saw it on here somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:05:39 PM EST
I was wondering if that was cosmo coming out.

I decided to stain it (mixed natural with colonial maple) to get an orangish tint, a bit like I see on other guys'--just because it matches the cosmo dots. if it gets too waxy, i will re-do it.

Thanks for the help, I had time to stain it today and did so, but next time I will try a deeper de-cosmoing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:08:30 AM EST
My K31 had no cosmo on the wood. It was dry as a bone.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:56:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hoppy:
My K31 had no cosmo on the wood. It was dry as a bone.

Same on mine. I cannot remember the stain color I used.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:59:11 PM EST
Tagged because threads like this always make me reach for a towel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:25:02 PM EST
I suggest sanding lightly with some 200 then 400 grit paper after you get all of the oils out of the wood.
it won't ruin the stamps or anything in the wood, and will give you a much nicer finish.

here's a close up on my mosin I just finished:

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:36:48 PM EST
Sanding with anything other than 150 grit would take away from any originality the rifle had to offer in regards to the touch and feel.
150 is what was used to refinish or touch up a surplus rifle, either when it was refurbed or done in the field by the soldier.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:44:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By haLfLiFe:
Sanding with anything other than 150 grit would take away from any originality the rifle had to offer in regards to the touch and feel.
150 is what was used to refinish or touch up a surplus rifle, either when it was refurbed or done in the field by the soldier.

ahh, I didn't realize that.
thanks for the info.
Top Top