Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 3:48:02 PM EDT
A few weeks ago I bought a Remington 870 Express Magnum (the "home defense" model). I finally shot it tonight over at the NRA range (with slugs, of course). It certainly has a fair amount of recoil! Anyway, I have a few questions based on my shooting experience tonight:

-When shooting 2 3/4" slugs, the spent shells just barely make it out of the receiver when I pull the slide back. It looks as if the shells elongate when the projectile leaves the barrel, making them quite a bit longer than 2 3/4", and not very willing to leave the receiver with any sort of significant velocity. If this is the case, however, then how would this gun be capable of shooting "magnum" loads? I'm assuming that these loads would be 3" or even longer? It appears that these rounds would get stuck if they had similar elongation patterns.

-How far should the extractor toss the spent shells when I pull the slide back?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you rack the gun good the eject the round. U should have not no worries with three inch shells either Pump shotgun take a lil time to work them good when you have never used one before . Keep pumping. OUT. Tuna
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I never measured it but I would guess my hulls land about ten feet to the right.  Don't pussy foot around.  Jack that empty out and get a new one in there using swift, smooth but solid motions.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't pussy foot around.  Jack that empty out and get a new one in there using swift, smooth but solid motions.  

My GF says the same thing to me.  

By nature shotgunners are true romantics!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't pussy foot around.  Jack that empty out and get a new one in there using swift, smooth but solid motions.  

Zoub, how come you never showed us the proper technique when we were dove hunting last month?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zoub, how come you never showed us the proper technique when we were dove hunting last month?

ROTFLMAO!    
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]

How far should the extractor toss the spent shells when I pull the slide back?

Far enough for the shell to clear the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Make sure you rack the gun good the eject the round. U should have not no worries with three inch shells either Pump shotgun take a lil time to work them good when you have never used one before . Keep pumping. OUT. Tuna

Pump shotguns are designed to be cycled briskly.  Pull the slide swiftly, all the way to the rear, then forwrd swiftly.  Do not hesitate.

Shotshells are measured when they are uncrimped.  A spent 2 3/4" shell measures 2 3/4".  A loaded 2 3/4" shell is shorter than 2 3/4".

From right to left- 3" shell measures 2 9/16" crimped, 2 3/4" shell measures 2 1/4", and so on.  This varies shell to shell, and the style of crimp whether star or roll crimped makes a difference.

2guntom
2guntom.com
454 Casull
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top