Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2006 11:13:56 AM EDT
Hi all- Im about to be a new 50. cal owner. I was able to get a great deal on an AR50, which ill have in my hand sometime after the first of they year. I have a few questions on ammo, scope and rings that im hoping someone could offer some feedback on.

1) Rings- Damn they are expensive! Im assuming that Badgers or MAX50's are pretty much the standard but wondering what other budget mided shooters are using. I dont mind spending the $140 for a set but wondering if there a viable, competent less expensive set on the market. Anyone have experience with the Tactical Solutions TSR's?

2)Scope- This is one department that i refuse to cut corners on. I am looking a Leupold or NF variable in the x50 flavor. What is the big deal with NF's? I wont be shooting in low light or night conditions, so an illuminated reticle is not important to me. Also how much mirage or bluriness does one encounter on the top setting of a 8.5-25x50 Leupold for instance at a distance of say 300 yards? I always assumed that leupolds and other top end scopes earn their keep and stand out from a lesser scope in that situation. Am i correct in my assumptions?

3)Scope Base-The longest range we have in this area is 300 yards. Well say 500 yards is the max i will probably ever shoot this beast. Will the factory 15 Minute rail give me enough MOA at that range using High or Ultra High rings?

4)Ammo- Last but certainly not least is ammo. Realistically i will probably shoot 50-150 rounds a year recreationally( READ: Not for competition or hunting game). Im not looking to spend $5-$6 a round. At the distances i plan to shoot, im not sure that the type of ammo im shooting will make a huge difference. Should i be ok with the Talon FMJ or Remanufactured 633 grain Blue tip stuff that Ammoman, Sportsmans guide and the like sells? or is there a comparable alternative to that ammo that i can find on the market that might be a better choice?

As always any insight offered is greatly appreciated. Thanks all
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Old fashioned tag.

Are you the guy who bought the AR-50 which was part of the ARFCOM raffle?
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure did. Its only fitting that a guy from NY buy it from a guy in CA. We feel each others pain
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, congrats on the new rifle.  I'll toss my two cents in the ring.

1) You don't need the "Max 50's", a regular set of Badger, Leupold MK4, Nightforce, or TPS tactical steel rings will work just fine, in that order.

2) The big deal with the NXS scopes is the durability and superior glass relative to Leupold.  Leupold variables do not do well on 50's as a rule.  The only Leupold that you can count on is the fixed power Mark 4's.  If you will be shooting under 1000yds recreationally, there is no need to go over the 20-22x range on the top end.  The best thing you can do is check out the view through other people's glass at the range.

3) Your 15MOA base will be fine.  Ring height has no bearing on maximum range.

4) Don't know what to say for loaded ammo, but I'd lean towards something in the quality FMJ catagory for recreational use.  The best stuff was the IMI factory FMJ.  I don't think it's available in the US anymore.  PS --- the high $$ Barrett ammo was just IMI with a custom headstamp....
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
When you said .50 accessories, I thought you meant a side sling, verticle grip and a Holopoint.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2006 2:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
nah hes got that on his deagle rolling beams yo.... ok im done heheh

welcome to the club im new here too heheh
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Already got the fobus flip up vertical grip and crimson trace grips with the surefire 6p for CQB work. It oughta look great

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it comin'.

I did think of another question recently in the Bipod department. I have a few options. get an adapter and a harris bipod, get a M60 bipod from Armalite or get a caldwell rock steady mount to permanently use for the 50. The harris in my experience isnt all that stout and i doubt it would be long before the abuse of a 50 came to the surface. The M60 bipod choice is first costly, and second from what i understand, tends to be a little "wobbly"; not what i would expect for a $275 item. Lastly the caldwell rock steady rest idea. The only downside i can see is that it is not proprietary to the weapons system meaning it is another piece of gear which i have to remember everytime i bring the 50 out. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
These guns are HEAVY, and no regular bi-pod will honestly do.
 Gotta get one made for these guns specifically.

I don't know if he makes them for the AR-50 yet, but a guy by the name of "Triggerfifty" who owns a company called "SOE" (Sniping Operations Executive) makes a nice one for the Barrett.

www.snipingoperationsexecutive.org/

Maybe you could be a test case...
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a pic:

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Join F.C.S.A. the N.R.A. and any state rifle Associations. Just adding crap to it wont protect your right to own it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Can I add to the list:

Laser Rangefinder
Ballistic program
Kestrel weather tracker
Data Book
Spotting scope
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can I add to the list:

Laser Rangefinder
Ballistic program
Kestrel weather tracker
Data Book
Spotting scope

Don't forget the spotter, it can be a friend, relative, wife, child or girlfriend.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Don't forget the spotter

+1  

But how to choose between the model that can read wind or the one with the big boobs?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't forget the spotter

+1  

But how to choose between the model that can read wind or the one with the big boobs?

ALWAYS take the one with the boobs.  You can always judge the wind on your own!  
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top