Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/25/2005 6:36:16 AM EDT
My uncle passed away last week and his wife gave me an 03A3 he bought from CMP back in the mid 60's. The gun has not been fired since he got it. Do you guy's think it would hurt the value of the rifle any to fire it? The rifle appears to be in excellant condition with good wood and parkerizing.
Apparently produced in Sept. 1943 from serial number and barrel date.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:57:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 2:00:33 PM EDT by ar15hookem]
I would not think firing it would hurt the value(could be wrong) unless it is of new manufacture and was put in storage right after manufacture.
Most 03a3 rifles of that time went to guards in the states. They usually guarded sensitive war target sites such as plants and power stations. So it is possible for the rifle to be unfired and firing would bring down the value. However a few were used for sniper rifles at that time and it my have seen combat.
Then again it could be a factory refurbished back then and was issued for guard duty. And after the war returned to storage.
Check the receiver stamp, is it remington,spring field or smith corona(most saught after). Then check the stock, bolt, barrel, trigger guard and swivels. They should have small letters stamped on them.
In case of remington, it would have 'R' stamped on the parts and 'RA' on the barrel(mine has this unfortunally it is a Santa Fe receiver, still shoots good though).

Hope this gets you started and maybe someone that knows more than me can give you more info.

If it was me I would shoot it either way.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:00:56 PM EDT
Thanks for your reply ar15hookem. It is a Remington and has a R or RA stamped on just about everything. Although I can not see any stamp at all on the trigger guard, there are 8 stamps in the stock just ahead of the trigger guard and a P just behind it. The stock also has a large RA FJA with a military insignia on the left side above the trigger and an O.G. about midway between the trigger and the sling mount. Are these the usual markings?
Anybody know of a way to trace the gun back to original issue?
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:07:59 PM EDT
Get yourself a "For Collectors Only Series" book on 1903's. It's published by North Cape Publications. It will tell you all about the history and markings.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:13:20 PM EDT
Thanks Javak.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:06:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cartech:
Thanks for your reply ar15hookem. It is a Remington and has a R or RA stamped on just about everything. Although I can not see any stamp at all on the trigger guard, there are 8 stamps in the stock just ahead of the trigger guard and a P just behind it. The stock also has a large RA FJA with a military insignia on the left side above the trigger and an O.G. about midway between the trigger and the sling mount. Are these the usual markings?
Anybody know of a way to trace the gun back to original issue?
Thanks for your help.

RA, FJA and the ordanance escutcheon are the normal final acceptance marks for the rifle. The OG is from an inspection/overhaul at the Ogden Arsenal. The Ogden marking is common on 03A3s whether anything was done to it or not. Many 60s DCM rifles have been seen that are basically unissued but still were inspected at Ogden before storage. As originally manufactured, most all parts were blued except reciever, barrel and safety lever. If any other parts are parked, they have been replaced at some point.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 5:47:21 PM EDT by cartech]
Thanks Dracster, You just described my rifle. It does appear that the bayonet lug is parked,( but it does have a "R" stamped in it) all the other parts are as you mentioned. I guess it is possible this rifle has not been fired since manufactured, maybe? That is what my Uncle told me several times in the past.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:32:14 PM EDT
The Marines used the 03A3 model in WWII into 1943. In Europe they were used also, but mostly as grenade launchers and, of course, sniper rifles. I would shoot it. You are not going to reduce the value by using it. Mint from the factory would be the exception. Many of these are excellent shooters. Cleani it real good and don't forget to disassemble the bolt and clean it too. If your uncle never used it, it may still have some dried cosmolene stuck in all the nooks and crannies.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:46:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cartech:
Thanks Dracster, You just described my rifle. It does appear that the bayonet lug is parked,( but it does have a "R" stamped in it) all the other parts are as you mentioned. I guess it is possible this rifle has not been fired since manufactured, maybe? That is what my Uncle told me several times in the past.

If it's parked, it's been replaced. How do the screws look? Any signs of having a screw driver applied?
Top Top