Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 11:27:46 AM EDT
For those of us who are on USAA, here is what I found out:

Under renters insurance, you are covered up to $2,000 dollars on your firearms. Done deal

Now, they have a seperate floater where you can insure your firearms based on their total value. For example, I valued my collection at $10,000 (includes scopes, accessories, modifications, etc) and the representative stated that the floater would cost $200 per year.

I continued to ask questions, what they do is on the floater each firearm is listed out with its value, you have to provide all the information on the firearm, proof of ownership (pics, sales receipts).

Then, if and certainly WHEN your collection grows you have to add firearms onto the floater, making your montly and yearly payment increase.

They are insured all over the world, which is nice, and they insure all the accessories etc. Although, this seperate floater does not insure anything under $500, for those less expensive weapons are covered by your normal renter's/home insurance.

Thought this would help..

maybe we should start a sticky for weapon insurance good deals, best finds, experience with filing claims?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
That about what my homeowners policy through state farm is.  The new agent in the area called me in for a reveiw of policies and coverage and I found out then I'm only covered for about $2000.00.  I could add a floater but I'd need to bring in a list of firearms and accessories, ser#s etc....  But I don't what this info floating around with a large company like this.  So I'm looking for firearm insurance with a company that can halfway guarantee some piece of mind that the info is PRIVATE.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That about what my homeowners policy through state farm is.  The new agent in the area called me in for a reveiw of policies and coverage and I found out then I'm only covered for about $2000.00.  I could add a floater but I'd need to bring in a list of firearms and accessories, ser#s etc....  But I don't what this info floating around with a large company like this.  So I'm looking for firearm insurance with a company that can halfway guarantee some piece of mind that the info is PRIVATE.

Brent, did you address the convern about privacy with them? If you did, what did they say?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What about using the NRA's firearm insurance? I never have, as of yet, but I would tend to think they would certainly not give out that info.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brent, did you address the convern about privacy with them? If you did, what did they say?

No, the agent started to piss me off, she did mine and my mom's at the same time, it was suppose to be 45min to an hour meeting, we had other appointments that day (mom can't drive so I'm her chauffeur) and she had ran the meeting out to 2 hours +, then started trying to sale us on investing our money.

This was suppose to be a meeting about our insurance and if we had enough coverage, as I said she's a new agent in the area that took over for the older one that retired, IIRC she's from the west side of WA and we're on the east side, it's two different worlds, she needs to understand that.  Years ago our state farm agent was born and raised here, so he knew everybody and their dog, he knew exactly the right policies a person needed.  One of the independent agents is a member of the local FNRA that I'm with, but he's not taking new clients, he's getting ready to retire.  A pro-gun agent is a plus these days if your a gun owner, our last one was.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the agent started to piss me off, she did mine and my mom's at the same time, it was suppose to be 45min to an hour meeting, we had other appointments that day (mom can't drive so I'm her chauffeur) and she had ran the meeting out to 2 hours +, then started trying to sale us on investing our money.

This was suppose to be a meeting about our insurance and if we had enough coverage, as I said she's a new agent in the area that took over for the older one that retired, IIRC she's from the west side of WA and we're on the east side, it's two different worlds, she needs to understand that.  Years ago our state farm agent was born and raised here, so he knew everybody and their dog, he knew exactly the right policies a person needed.  One of the independent agents is a member of the local FNRA that I'm with, but he's not taking new clients, he's getting ready to retire.  A pro-gun agent is a plus these days if your a gun owner, our last one was.

Interesting, sorry to hear that bud. This was my first experience with USAA over the phone and they did 110%. Made sure i was transferred correctly, very nice and understandable.

This is my first venture outside my parents umbrella with insurance so im learning the ropes..
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Chromeluv,
    Some cheap insurance advice---- Do not ever cancel your USAA insurance.  If you still have it because of a parent's eligibilty you are lucky.  USAA is far and away the best insurance company out there.  I understand that if former dependents cancel they cannot get back in unless they would otherwise be eleigible on their own (i.e. military or other).  By the way, I am not in the insurance industry but have had USAA most of my life and have had numerous claims all of which were handled professionaly and timely.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Chromeluv,
    Some cheap insurance advice---- Do not ever cancel your USAA insurance.  If you still have it because of a parent's eligibilty you are lucky.  USAA is far and away the best insurance company out there.  I understand that if former dependents cancel they cannot get back in unless they would otherwise be eleigible on their own (i.e. military or other).  By the way, I am not in the insurance industry but have had USAA most of my life and have had numerous claims all of which were handled professionaly and timely.

I changed from USAA on my homeowners policy to Allstate and saved about 30%!  USAA was insisting on valuing my homes replacement cost at least $50,000 over my real estate appraisal.  I live in a $85K neighborhood, and they had jacked my coverage up to almost $150,000.

I talked them down to about $130K, then told them to shove it when I found that when comparing even their inflated value against Allstates rates, I would save by switching.  An insurance company with USAA's reputation should not ARTIFICIALLY INFLATE REPLACEMENT COST VALUE in order to increase revenues.  There is NO WAY IN HELL my house would cost $150,000 to replace.  New construction of similar homes locally is in the low $100's, so they were overcharging me by adding 50% extra value, knowing in advance a claim would never go that high.

Do NOT blindly assume USAA will give you great service.  They cancelled my Mom's because she had two claims in about a 2 year period...after about 30 years of claim free premium payments.  She got the same coverage CHEAPER from a state program in Va.

In Texas, USAA used to cover the entire value of my guns.  And mold.  And foundation cracks.  Etc.  Steadily their coverage became more restrictive in ways that only benefit the Insurer, not the customer.  IIRC they were one of the FIRST companies I heard of who insisted on repairing auto damage claims with aftermarket, NON-factory parts.  

Shop around for insurance, because the USAA of today is NOT the USAA my Dad used for many years.

Paladin
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chromeluv,

I changed from USAA on my homeowners policy to Allstate and saved about 30%!  USAA was insisting on valuing my homes replacement cost at least $50,000 over my real estate appraisal.  I live in a $85K neighborhood, and they had jacked my coverage up to almost $150,000.

I talked them down to about $130K, then told them to shove it when I found that when comparing even their inflated value against Allstates rates, I would save by switching.  An insurance company with USAA's reputation should not ARTIFICIALLY INFLATE REPLACEMENT COST VALUE in order to increase revenues.  There is NO WAY IN HELL my house would cost $150,000 to replace.  New construction of similar homes locally is in the low $100's, so they were overcharging me by adding 50% extra value, knowing in advance a claim would never go that high.

Do NOT blindly assume USAA will give you great service.  They cancelled my Mom's because she had two claims in about a 2 year period...after about 30 years of claim free premium payments.  She got the same coverage CHEAPER from a state program in Va.

In Texas, USAA used to cover the entire value of my guns.  And mold.  And foundation cracks.  Etc.  Steadily their coverage became more restrictive in ways that only benefit the Insurer, not the customer.  IIRC they were one of the FIRST companies I heard of who insisted on repairing auto damage claims with aftermarket, NON-factory parts.  

Shop around for insurance, because the USAA of today is NOT the USAA my Dad used for many years.

Paladin

You DO realize that your HO policy should not only be enough to cover the cost of rebuilding your home, but should ALSO cover the value of all of your furniture, clothes and everything else inside your home.  You'd be surprised how quickly that adds up.

That being said, I have been with USAA for my auto insurance for about 12 years.  I also bank with them, have credit with them, investments, and personal articles floater with them.  I tried to get my HO through them, but they were about 20% more on cost for the exact same coverage as Countrywide (my current carrier).  I am leery about asking for costs to cover my gun collection because I know how they log info in the industry and some carriers would reject you simply because you had guns in the home...  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#9]

USAA used to be the best insurance. A few years back they got some real clowns move into the top positions and suddenly they lost so much money my yearly refund checks dropped to almost nothing. They need to clean house fast. They are living on their old reputation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
USAA used to be the best insurance. A few years back they got some real clowns move into the top positions and suddenly they lost so much money my yearly refund checks dropped to almost nothing. They need to clean house fast. They are living on their old reputation.

+1
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I am shopping for firearms insurance, these three are supposed to be the best:

www.collectinsure.com/

www.historicfirearms.com/

locktonrisk.com/NRAIns/armscare.asp
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Recently USAA changed their policy on firearms insurance. Now they send you a form,
and you have to list the firearms and give their values. If they were purchased within the last two years, you can use the sales receipt for proof of value. If they were purchased more than two
years ago, you have to have them appraised.

I don't like this appraisal BS. I don't want some stranger coming in my house and seeing where
all of my stuff is, or the layout of my house. And I sure don't want to empty my safe out and haul
my guns to his office in my truck.

So far I haven't done anything with my form. Considering switching to State Farm.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have USAA and they told me the NRA firearms insurance was better then what they could offer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have USAA and they told me the NRA firearms insurance was better then what they could offer.

Can you get the NRA insurance without being a member?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top