Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/9/2004 8:21:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 8:26:07 PM EST by G-Rated]
I had Clayton Smith at West Texas Ordnance build me an 18" M14 on an armscorp receiver with USGI parts. I took it out and shot it today and had to forward assist the bolt every time. Bolt fit is VERY tight when the locking lugs rotate into the locked position, I'll even say "wedged." When cycling by hand, you have to really jerk on the bolt handle to get the bolt to unlock. Is this normal, one of those things that goes away after the gun breaks in? My brother's SA M1A is smooth as butter and was NEVER like this when it was new.

The second thing is aparent casting holes/irregularities in the receiver that were concealed by the connector lock pin. When attempting a field strip I found the connector lock pin was STUCK big time. It took creative use of vise grips and punches to get it out, which BARELY happened. This I am pretty dissapionted in as it should have been apparent upon assembly when a hammer was required. After the connector lock pin was removed (I intended to sand down the pin so I could actually get it out next time!) I found three different "holes" or "gaps" in the material of about 4mm wide AND deep, and are consistent with what you'd see in a bad cast job. These gaps open up inside the connector pin hole, and one of them on the edge opens up into the connecter slot. Not wanting to jump to conclusions, and also perplexed because of the great reviews Armscorp has received online (supposedly the most consistent-to-spec receiver, also with the longest history, AND the fact that they make Fulton's receivers), I figured I'd ask here before blowing a gasket. Maybe that's supposed to be there for the mold or something?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:47:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 2:09:12 AM EST by Noname]
Have you tried to contact the builder to rectify these problems? Who supplied the receiver? What ammo were you using?

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:22:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 7:22:56 AM EST by Sukebe]
It sounds like you may have an out of Spec. reciever. Clayton should have caught that before he shipped it out. Contact him with your concerns. I'm sure he will take care of you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:44:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
It sounds like you may have an out of Spec. reciever. Clayton should have caught that before he shipped it out. Contact him with your concerns. I'm sure he will take care of you.

Will do. I wanted to get opinions here first. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:22:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:22:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 2:23:41 PM EST by warlord]
I wouldn't do anything physical to the rifle, I would contact the mfg'r and explain the problem. Maybe it's an easy fix, and you can do it; if not then box up everything and send it back on his nickel. Since you're not an expert and could possibly ruin some expensive GI parts, I would let the experts handle it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:11:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 7:23:56 PM EST by G-Rated]

Originally Posted By Chuck:

Hold the rifle so the barrel doesn't fall out and tip the rifle muzzle up and down. The bolt should open and close merely by the weight of the oprod. Clickity click, clacnity clack. If it doesn't there's something bad wrong.

-- Chuck

you can feel the problem when working the bolt by hand with the oprod removed. When it rotates into the lock position, it is TIIIGGHHTT. How tight? Tight as....well, you know

I'm not an expert, but I am very good mechanically, and this just isn't right. With the bolt fit and pockets in the casting, this receiver looks to be garbage. I just couldn't believe that a gun could get sent out with problems this big, hence I figured maybe I didnt' know shit, andn it was supposed to be this way. So I figured it'd be best to bounce this off you guys first.

I just sent off an email to the maker, so we'll see what happens.

On a side note, my dad bought one at the same from the same guy, and his is great.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:24:25 PM EST
I would contact the builder ASAP! All recievers have there little "glitches" but this sounds really odd, especially on a new production Armscorp, as the Armscorps' made today seem to be much more consistent than in years past. As far as Armscorp making the most consistent "in spec" reciever, dont think that can be said with certainty.

The rifle should have NEVER left any shop in the condition it was in. Sounds like several things werent addressed in assembly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:20:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:55:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 4:56:55 AM EST by WarDawg]
Im with Chuck. These riflesare easy to diagnose . Do what Chuck said. Take the trigger group out. Remove stock. Remove Return spring.(The one that goes into the OpRod. ) . Put the bolt in the locked up position. Turn the rifle(barrel) to a 45 degree angle. It should unlock and slide all the way back to the rear of the reciver. Turn it again to the opposite 45 degree angle.It should slide all the way back and lock up completely. With the rifle fully assymembled there is going to be resistance when pulling the oprod back.But not terrible resistance. The bolt has to ride up over the hammer. Measure your Oprod spring and post how long it is also..... I had one that was 1" to short and it would lock my action up to the point I would have to knock the shit out of it to unlock it.It would jam the rifle up. All because of a out of spec return spring. Brand new one that was to short. Good luck , WarDawg
Top Top