Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 1:01:20 PM EDT
Plinker model -- 595.00 otd

so came here to converse with AR owners

so hi  guys --
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Enjoy the new rifle and welcome  

Check out the AR discussion forum and general discussion forum.  DOn't let anyone scare you off with dirty jokes or what-have-you.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome, get some ammo, go shooting!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome!    Whether you are new to ARs or not, there is an absolute WEALTH of useful information here!

I hope you don't get flamed for your choice of rifle - there seems to be quite an anti-OlyArms contingent here...

FWIW, two of my ARs are Olys (a pre-ban CAR-type & a post-ban 9mm carbine) and I've never had a problem with either.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome!

My second AR is/was an Oly Pre-Ban carbine. One bad extractor caused some concerns.

It's still my favorite.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
enjoy your Plinker. I have one and it has worked rather well. Got me hooked on AR's again. Only had one FTF and that was my fault. Shot the tar out of it with a variety of ammo, even the much reviled and dreaded Wolf. But I usually shoot reloads out of it for practice. Save the Q3131a for other work. BTW, just for the hell of it I replaced the extractor spring with a De-Fender. Didn't need to. Oly had one of their O-rings installed with the spring. Nice of them to do that. Have fun with your new rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did you get a "plinker" or a "plinker plus"? I understand that Oly is now selling Plinkers with forged, rather than cast receivers, the price is the same for either model
Also Oly has some kind of short term no questions asked money back guarantee, I think-so while you can't exchange a cast one for a forged one, you can return a cast receivered one and then turn around and buy a forged one for the same price-I think, in theory, maybe.h.gif

By the way, this is just the start. Have fun with your plinker, you are better off not knowing the piles of $$$$$$$$$$$$ that will be spent on ammo, ARs and accessories in the future. hr

Not really sure ? Was in very good condition and looked new, but was a used rifle. Got a some ten shot  magazines with it .
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, at least he said "magazines" instead of "clips", I think he's off to a great start already.  Welcome to the boards!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...A boresnake makes cleaing easier...

Amen.    The boresnake IMHO is right up there with the LULA as two of the best gadgets ever invented for folks who shoot their ARs a lot!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on the new (to you) rifle.  Like Aimless said the Plinker should serve you well as a "fun gun" but head on over to AR Discussions and soon you'll be looking to build another (or three)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to the addiction

Now get on over to the EE and get some real mags.

Oly PCR16 was my first AR and still my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
You may get a little grief about the Olly from the Colt/Bushy/RRA guys, but I've got one with a stainless heavy barrel and it will shoot 1 MOA all day.  Had a couple of FTF when I first got it, but after a couple of hundred rounds it seemed to break in.  Enjoy, but be warned this can get addicting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey mist,
Congats of the Plinker.  I, too, have one.  I like it a lot!  I have noticed that it shoots the 5.56 55 grainers better than anything else.  Slower twist rate, i believe.  Maybe one of the Gurus on the board can confirm. All i know is that i can break clay pigeons (sitting, not flying) at 225 yards with ease.
I broke the bolt on mine recently (Aimless was up there with us at the time) I had a little riggamarole with Oly but they repaired (replaced) and headspaced, test fired the upper and sent it back to me- NO CHARGE!  So if you have any problems call Tony or Chris in the service dept.  They seem to be good people.
RB out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I am very fond of my Oly!  It's a 16' lightweight that shoots better then the M-16 I was issued in the Army.  Very reliable, very accurate, and a whole lot of fun!  My next one may well be another Olympic.  Check out www.olyarms.com.  Look at the FAQ section.  There you will find a write up on how to tell if your rifle has a cast or forged reciever.  Cast is known to be somewhat brittle, dropping it just right (or wrong) on a hard cement floor for example, could cause it to shatter or crack.  If so they will replace it free of charge - or so they claim.  I have had nothing but good experiences with their customer service people, but there's nothing wrong with my rifle that really requires their services.  Oly will rebuild your cast reciever for a fee and send it back to you.  It's not a new firearm, but rather an upgrade to an existing firearm.  If you're planning on any kind of "hard use" for your rifle you may want to consider this upgrade.  Either way, good luck and enjoy it!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I heard some good stuff here I might look at one when I go AR shopping.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Welcome aboard, when it breaks you can get a lot of support from other people who own broken Oly products and have spare parts,,,hahaha.  

AR-15's and AR-10's are great rifles and after a while you can expand your collection to include any of the hundreds of variations.  Most are from other makers with better products than OLY.  The bright side is that in 12 months you will know what you do not want to buy again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I own an Olympic and a Bushmaster.  You'll enjoy the Oly very much congratulations on your purchase.  One place if your on a budget check out www.md-ar15.com/ they've got some neat and inexpensive ideas how to trick out your AR.  This is the Maryland AR-15 shooters site.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you Aimless,
I still don't know the twist.  Sorry (its the beer). I will measure and report back, K?

Meanwhile, Aimless, its going good.
You saw that bolt?  The broken one?  I got a good deal.

But meanwhile i ordered another from Georia Priecision. (that's a whole other thread)
Last weekend i went to Concord, NH, gun show and found some new parts for the new bolt.

Oh, God, Allah, Yawe, Buddha, Please save me!  I now have rings and springs for a new one.
I know if i wait long enough it will grow into a whole new rifle.

When does it stop?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
... I now have rings and springs for a new one.
I know if i wait long enough it will grow into a whole new rifle.

When does it stop?

NEVER!  Any extra part left over is just an excuse for a new build...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top