Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 10:25:40 AM EDT
Thoughts on this can? I've read nothing but good things about, which was why I bought it, but I've never used an SF can before. The main selling points, for me at least, was because it's pretty short and exceptionally light.

How's it compare accoustically with an M4/2000 and a KAC NT4? I've used both.

If it gets FUBAR'd somehow, is SF's customer service decent? Or worthless? Anyone have any experience?

-Glenn
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know anything about their CS, but I do know a few satisfied customers.

It's probably not going to sound as quiet to you as some other cans but I bet you'll be pleased with the purchase.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a good can.

Video of Surefire and AAC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thoughts on this can?

Seems to be the favorite out of their 5.56 offerings due to reported POI/POA repeatability and weight

How's it compare accoustically with an M4/2000 and a KAC NT4? I've used both.

Hard to say, depends on what length barrels you'd compare the three

If it gets FUBAR'd somehow, is SF's customer service decent? Or worthless? Anyone have any experience?

You should know better than buying a can now adays without checking out the companies custom service

But you are in luck, they have recently re-adjusted their customer service policies earlier last year, and they now offer a life time warranty on their cans. When they first started out, they only offered a 1 year warranty.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]

You should know better than buying a can now adays without checking out the companies custom service

But you are in luck, they have recently re-adjusted their customer service policies earlier last year, and they now offer a life time warranty on their cans. When they first started out, they only offered a 1 year warranty.

Yeah I know, I should've checked , but thanks a lot for the info. Glad they went over to a lifetime warranty. If they only had a 1 year, for the price they ask, I'd probably be a tad miffed. Be a little late for that I suppose since I mailed the paperwork off today, but I'd be pissed nontheless.

Thanks for the input guys - appreciate it. From all the reviews I've read of it, it seems like an awesome can. Can't wait to actually get my grubby little meat hooks on it.

-Glenn

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#5]
From that video, they are close in sound.  The SF is closer to the camera and close to where the gas exits the carrier.  

That was versus an M4-1000?  Hard choice considering price but if you factor in many other things, I have my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You will notice that the Surefire shoots a jet of gas back toward the Front sight post.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From that video, they are close in sound.

Of course video should not be relied upon to gauge sound.  But I think the SF is a good can.  It's not on my short list for new 5.56 cans though -- SWR and Ops Inc get that honor right now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
What was the pinging sound with the AAC can?

-X
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
It is the QD mount/flash hider.
I just started paperwork on a M4-2000 Mod 08.
The mount has three prongs that ring like a tuning fork for a fraction of a second when you shoot it or hit it on something metal.
It is noticable but to me not annoying, I'm shooting a gun and not a rubber band so in the big picture it really doesn't make a difference.
I have been looking at the SF 308 cans for a semiauto build.
They are good but a little pricey.
Never shot one but from everything I have read you will be happy with your purchase.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

-X

metal targets down range?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The mount has three prongs that ring like a tuning fork for a fraction of a second when you shoot it or hit it on something metal.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter, but I still believe it to be a design flaw.  It's not one I would hinge a purchase on though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From that video, they are close in sound.

Of course video should not be relied upon to gauge sound.  But I think the SF is a good can.  It's not on my short list for new 5.56 cans though -- SWR and Ops Inc get that honor right now.

Of course you can't gauge sound based on a video but when you have two guns taking turns firing on the same video, same day, within seconds of one another over and over, yeah, you can pretty much tell a lot.  

But yes, there are a few different types of noises the video can't pick up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it doesn't really matter, but I still believe it to be a design flaw.  It's not one I would hinge a purchase on though.

Just curious, why do you believe it's a flaw?  Every open FH does it (ie, Vortex).  And you can't hear it from more than a few feet away.  Personally I kindof like it, it makes the gun feel more like a "machine" in my mind (I have an M4-1k 08 on a blackout).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#14]
The pinging is the flashider's forks pinging like a tuning fork.

My experience is that the cans are very similar in noise reduction when shot form the same length barrel wih the same ammo.

The surefire shoots a jet of gas back toward the shooter.

The SPR/M4 doesn't.  I can't say whether the M42k does as I haven't caught that on video.  This isn't a big deal unless you are mounting an irreplaceble IR laser on the gun.

The mount on the AAC seems to work better for ease of use.  Just my opinion

The mount on the surefire works fine . . .  I just think the AAC mount is better designed & easier to use.

You won't go wrong witht eh surefire can.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Just curious, why do you believe it's a flaw?  

It is far louder than any of the others I've heard, and it annoys me.  Like I said though, it would not be something that I'd eliminate a product over; I think of it as a nuance that I wish did not exist more than anything else.  I think AAC makes some great 5.56mm cans.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The 556K is not what is on the video SC-Texas made, though it is labeled as such.  It the 556AR, the back over the barrel can, not the 556K.  The 556K is muzzle mount and is longer past the muzle, even though its shorter in overall length, and because of this its also quieter than the 556AR can, but has more backpressure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will go the opposite route and claim any flash hider that does not ring has a design flaw.  Testing has shown closed prong designs tend to fail before open prong designs in high round count endurance testing with the silencer attached.  They also are less effective at reducing flash for a given length.  This is why AAC went from the Phantom munt design to the Blackout.  THat and the fact that the only cure for the Phantom was an Inconle construction and YHM was unwilling to make Inconel flash hiders.

The Blackout is more robust and better at reducing flash.  If it didnt ring you'd be trading effectiveness when the silencer is off and durability when the silencer is on for a ping.  I think the redesigned 08 model Blackout flash hiders and silencer mounts from AAC ring less, but I have not heard enough to make a definative statement that its a fact.  I believe, if its true (I am pulling this speculation straight out my ass), it is because there is much less deep of a lightening groove on the new flash hiders and the silencer comes into more contact with the flash hider when its mounted which combines to reduce the amount of vibration.  Time will tell if other people see this as more 08 model Blackouts and silencers get into users hands.  At this point I have not even seen a pic on the net of the different Blackout lightening grooves on the net.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

-X

I always wonder why people ask this when it is answered in the very first comment when you look right under the video in the comments section.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top