Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 6:10:45 PM EDT
I just bought this m1a at a pawn shop today.  It's preban and has national match sights and flash hider.  I also saw that it had USGI bolt and I will be tearing it down to see what else.  It also has an ARMS scope mount attached to it.  All in all great shape except for a ding in the stock and slight wear.

Wondering what value it may have and I will update on the verifiable number of USGI parts installed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
As described, $1500.00?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I was trying to verify the USGI parts, but I can't tell.  How do I tell if the parts are USGI or not.  I know the bolt is b/c of the TRW stamp on it.  The trigger group looks and feels different from my new Scout model.  Also, the oprod does have a little "emblem" stamp under the part number.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you live in a non free state (and TX is not one of them) pre ban does not exist anymore and has no more value than one made today.

What make is the receiver?
What make is the barrel?
Stock?
Bedded?
Gas system unitized?

All of those questions and maybe more will have a LOT to do with the ultimate value of the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
its worth keeping and shooting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The only reason I mention the "preban" is that I understand that it's more likely to have factory installed USGI parts, that and it has the bayo lug that, I believe, is discontinued on the new rifles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The only reason I mention the "preban" is that I understand that it's more likely to have factory installed USGI parts, that and it has the bayo lug that, I believe, is discontinued on the new rifles.

You're correct.  Preban M1As are generally built with all USGI parts.  That is why it commands a premium over post ban rifles.  Unless you're still in a ban state where it will be worth even more.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I guess I'll let everyone know that I spent an even 1100 for this rifle.  A check of the major parts indicates USGI.  Don't know round count, but it seems low.  it has a two piece ARMS m21 mount, that seems rock solid. Just need rings now.  By comparison to my new Scout, this one seems so much better built and SMOOTH action.  It also has the one piece spring rod as opposed to the linked one in the new one.  Is that what unitized means?  I just hope no one says, "you got screwed!" and make me cry.

The guy had it priced at 1395 and it just came up for sale that day and he didn't know anything about USGI, etc.  Nice guy though.

I want to get pics up but I need info on how to do it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
What!  No pics!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:37:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you did good even without the mount.Factor the mount in and you did really good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top