Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 8:02:04 PM EDT
....Took the plunge and bought one.  I have to wait 10 days to take her home.
So I have 10 days to:
a: find some magizines
b: decide what kind of mount to get smit or arms
c: stock up on some ammo

read what you guys have posted
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
you should really send your rifle off to an experienced veteran who has one so that your rifle may be properly tested to assure you the best performance...

...and whataya know, I just so happen to be  available to do that for you

congrats

have fun with her first before putting a scope on, you'll have a lot of fun
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
evilyoda: congrats to you sir.
You no doubt made a very wise choice.

I suggest getting Scott Duffs book.It has all the info. including "how to clean,repair and specs on all parts".

Get the book and learn in your spare time and save a boat load of $$$$$$$$.You have to learn sometime.If you need tech help there's plenty of people like myself (military armorer) to help ya out.

Save the money for ARMS #18 mount,rings,scope and cleaning supplies.

Oh yeah, "AMMO" lots and lots of "AMMO"

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
CONGRATS!!!

I love my M1A Scout. It is THE rifle for me.

I second Scott Duff's book. I don't know how many times I reference it. This is what I stocked up on in order of priority:

1. books and manuals
2. mags
3. ammo
4. cleaning and maintenance tools
5. spare parts
6. MORE mags!
7. MORE ammo!
8. MORE spare parts!

My M1A is my MBR, so I went overboard on parts, mags and ammo for it. Also the fact that USGI parts are starting to dry up and I figure mag prices can only go up in price.

What M1A did you get, make & model?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Standard rifle; Birch stock.  Ordered 3 x-tra mags.  I have about 300+ rounds of Black Hills 168gr match-BUT from reading here and at Battle Rifles.com 168 might be too heavy of load, so I will be looking for good deals on surplus ammo.

Still debating between ARMS/Smith mount. most likely will go with the smit. and some quick release system. ( I want to be able to use the sights if nessessary)-I have a aimpoint looking for a rifle to sit on..

Just a few more days!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with the ARMS rail and get ARMS quick release scope rings.  This way, you can easily remove the scope and use the irons.  The ARMS rail sits below the sight plane of the irons.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I put the Smith mount on mine. I have a SA 6x40 scope with ARMS quick release rings and and Aimpoint with the ARMS quick release rings. I like being able to easily switch between scope, Aimpoint or just plain old iron sights in only seconds. The nice thing about the ARMS rings is that they will hold zero (or very close to it) when switching scope around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top