Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 5:48:24 PM EDT
I have a very good friend of mine just got a job at Blockbuster.  On his first break he called me with a stern warning.  Any Blockbust employee that sees any person with a firearm, they are to call the police immediatly.  No questions asked.  If they suspect a customer has a firearm, they are to call the police.  To them, there is no difference between a lawful person carrying a firearm and a criminal robbing the store (His words, not mine).  How can any company be that ignorant?  I told him he never had to worry about that with me, because I would never go there again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hrmmm, I already hated blockbuster for making unauthorized charges on my credit card.  Now I have more reason to hate them.  I still wont shop there.

Thanks

Just in case you want to let them know what you think.

www.blockbuster.com/bb/about/contact/us/article/0,7716,ART-439%5ENT-ABT,00.html?

Remember if we dont let them know, who will?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When Blockbuster first opened it's store in my town a sign was put up on the door that there were to be no weapons brought into the store with a picture of a revolver with the little circle with a line through it thingy. The sign disappeared quite awhile ago.

They have no sign in the window, it is their company policy.  It wouldn't trouble me as much if it was an individual store, but it is the Corporate policy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My thoughts exactly.  If you have a CCW permit, the idea is to make sure it is concealed.  If someone notices, then you have defeated the purpose of a CCW permit.  I've been to Blockbuster many times "carrying" and never given it a second thought.

I know someone that works for blockbuster ( the wife of a shooting friend) who reiterated this "company policy".  In Florida, if it is not posted then there is no worry.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
In WA all you are likely to get is asked to leave the store by the PD. You may get "trespassed" which means don't come back again or else. The worst case scenario is brandishing or menacing  and if that's the case who ever reported it had better be able to fully describe the gun to the PD.

Hell from now on I'll take 2 or 3 into Blockbuster with me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not at all worried about "being made" by some pimply-faced teenage Blockbuster clerk when I carry inside their store, which I've done many, many times.

The average person, and even cops don't seem to notice me when I carry. I look like anybody else and I do not fear being viewed as someone who looks like they have a gun.

After many years of CCW carry, it feels like it could be a cell phone on my hip instead of a pistol. I've learned how to keep a low profile and how not to turn, bend, or get caught in a wind revealing the gun or holster.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Blockbuster Sucks!
Rent somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Arizona allows open carry WITHOUT a permit. If the sign isn't on the door, they can't do anything about it. I have carried open many places and hardly even gotten a second look. Now that I have my CCW permit, I typically carry concealed, but if for some reason it is seen or noticed by someone there isn't really anything they can do about it. If they called the cops and simply reported someone with a gun, the response would be "So. Is he committing a crime? No. okay....bye bye."

I LOVE this state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Blockbuster was the target for a rash of armed robberies here in Cincinnati before the holidays. At least 10 if memory serves. That is probably why the corporate policy is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Just remember, even if their is a sign up, it must meet the statutory requirements to support a violation.  In other words, if the letters are not the right color, size, font, etc., and the sign itself doesn't contain all the statutorily required language . . . they might as well not even put one up.  I've read that the DA in Harris County Texas (Houston) doesn't even prosecute "sign-related" CHL violations, because they are easy to beat on the technicalities.

This is a case of "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride."
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I e-mailed BB about this, and the response that I got says that CCW is okay if yo uhave a license. Here is the entire reply and my original e-mail at the bottom...

From BlockBuster
First, we want to thank you for your e-mail.  Customer feedback is very
important to us we are glad you took the time to write because it gives us the
opportunity to respond to your concerns.  At Blockbuster, we believe the key to
staying number one in our industry is to listen to our customers; especially if
a customer is dissatisfied with a product or service.

We  want  our customers and employees to feel safe while in a Blockbuster store,
therefore,  Blockbuster  does  not  allow  customers,  except for members of law
enforcement,  to  openly  carry or brandish weapons in our stores. If a customer
enters  a  store  with  a  weapon  that  is visible, employees are instructed to
contact  the  local  law  enforcement agency. Further, Blockbuster employees are
prohibited  from  carrying  weapons  of  any  sort into the store, on to company
property, or to any company function.

In  states  with  concealed  weapons  laws,  customers have the right to carry a
concealed weapon.  The very nature of a concealed weapon is that it is concealed
and,  as  such,  employees  would  not see it.  However, anyone found carrying a
weapon  in  violation  of  the  state  law  would  be  referred to the local law
enforcement agency.

Thank  you for letting us know how we can better serve your entertainment needs.
We take your comments very seriously and welcome them, as a valuable tool needed
to  improve  the quality of our service.  Please feel free to contact us anytime
in  the  future with your questions or comments regarding any of our services or
products.

Sincerely,
Blockbuster Consumer Services

[email protected] on 01/25/2002 09:16:10 PM

To:   Customer Service/RetailOp/Corporate/Blockbuster@BBEGI
cc:

Subject:  Contact Us Form Response

Name: Tim

Email: [email protected]
BB Store: 133 West Main St
Membership #:
Issue Category: corporate general contact
Issue: To whom it may concern.
I will no longer be renting movies at ANY of your stores due to your
corporate policy on guns. As a law abiding gun owner, if I choose to carry
a gun to protect my family, I cannot enter your store. So the only action
I can take to protect my family is to avoid your store.
Your company policy is ignorant and flies in the face of th Bill of
Rights. I hope that one day your company will change it's stance on the
Second Amendment, but until that day, I will just get my movies from other
places.
I will be termintating my membership tomorrow at my local Blockbuster.

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#14]
For what it's worth, I have a few friends that have worked at one of Blockbuster's corporate offices here in Spartanburg, SC.  I know they talk about hunting at work and have gone on hunting trips with coworkers.  The last time I went to visit, I saw a hunting magazine in their lobby!  I wouldn't flame them too hard even if they have a few idiot local managers.  I've worked in several places (including now) where mentioning guns or hunting was verboten.  They're better than that.  They don't sound too anti-gun for a large company.z
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Hydguy,
With their responce, would you go to BB?
I am a Florida CCW permit holder and frequent my local BB and I enter while carying.  I have never had so much as a look from an employee.  
What do you think?

Wcoyote

Quoted:
I e-mailed BB about this, and the response that I got says that CCW is okay if yo uhave a license. Here is the entire reply and my original e-mail at the bottom...

From BlockBuster

We  want  our customers and employees to feel safe while in a Blockbuster store,
therefore,  Blockbuster  does  not  allow  customers,  except for members of law
enforcement,  to  openly  carry or brandish weapons in our stores. If a customer
enters  a  store  with  a  weapon  that  is visible, employees are instructed to
contact  the  local  law  enforcement agency. Further, Blockbuster employees are
prohibited  from  carrying  weapons  of  any  sort into the store, on to company

In  states  with  concealed  weapons  laws,  customers have the right to carry a
concealed weapon.  The very nature of a concealed weapon is that it is concealed
and,  as  such,  employees  would  not see it.  However, anyone found carrying a
weapon  in  violation  of  the  state  law  would  be  referred to the local law
enforcement agency.

Thank  you for letting us know how we can better serve your entertainment needs.
We take your comments very seriously and welcome them, as a valuable tool needed
to  improve  the quality of our service.  Please feel free to contact us anytime
in  the  future with your questions or comments regarding any of our services or
products.

Sincerely,

cc:

Membership #:
places.

hr
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#16]
You guy are missing the whole picture.  Read this again.

In states with concealed weapons laws, customers have the right to carry a
concealed weapon. The very nature of a concealed weapon is that it is concealed
and, as such, employees would not see it.

Does this say no?

If you were out in public and saw that someone had a gun poking out of there pants would you not be concerned?

Even as a CCW holder I would.

This Blockbuster Law only effects irresponsible CCW holders. (and open carry states but that is a whole other can of worms)

The name of the game here is keep it in your pants.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

From BlockBuster

enforcement agency.

products.

Sincerely,

cc:

Membership #:
places.

I recieved the same email
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They don't sound too anti-gun for a large company.

Blockbuster is a subsidiary of Viacom (Sumner Redstone, etc) just like CBS and MTV. That is where the directive comes from. THEY ARE ANTIGUN and have put out a lot of propaganda on the subject.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top